Tornado Watch = Cancelations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
On Thursday, when "most" of the state had a Tornado Watch box, the local radio and TV stations they had an endless list of closings and postponements.

I understand liability, but this is the first state I've seen this happen in for "conditions that are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms that are capable of producing tornadoes". I understand that if you have thunderstorms, you may have lightning, large hail, damaging winds that could endanger people outdoors, but I'm a little confused about this and I've had numerous years of weather spotters training.

Not but an hour later I hear the watch box is reduced to three southern most counties. The next day I hear that only one F0 tornado is seen in a farm field with no physical damage.

Last year we had a tornado warning issued for a “dust devil” in a field when the sky was clear and no signs of any severe weather could be found on the radar. This shut down schools and businesses for a few minutes of confusion and leaving people scratching their heads.

Any idea why this is happening? It does make for interesting listening I must say.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
My guess is that some lawyer made some suggestion at a meeting and it cascaded down the line. It's a horrible policy, and I've fought and fought against it, but to no avail.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The school system I attended from 7th grade till graduation in the 1980s, had a firm policy about canceling classes and sending students home whenever a Tornado Watch was issued. With all the glass in the middle school and other facilities, the school board thought it was best if the students were at home, rather than in their buildings exposing the school system to any liability. However, it took forever to recall all the bus drivers and have them report back to the schools, especially when the school district did not have any two-way radios back then.

73's

Ron

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Sending students home to likely empty houses is never a good idea... Having buses on the road during a tornado is never a good idea... Designing schools with pretty glass but no safe shelter from tornadoes is a HORRIBLE idea.

So to avoid #3, they shoot their dice with #1 & #2...

Status
Not open for further replies.