Tornado Watch Till 3:00am

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Not quite all of central IN - east central is not in the threat. Best bets near and south of I-70.

brentoli

Deactivated Duplicate Account
Banned
Indiana Counties Included Are

Bartholomew Boone Brown
Carroll Clay Clinton
Daviess Dearborn Decatur
Delaware Fayette Fountain
Franklin Greene Hamilton
Hancock Hendricks Henry
Howard Jackson Jennings
Johnson Knox Lawrence
Madison Marion Martin
Monroe Montgomery Morgan
Ohio Owen Parke
Putnam Randolph Ripley
Rush Shelby Sullivan
Tippecanoe Tipton Union
Vermillion Vigo Warren
Wayne

Madison, Delaware, Wayne and Randolph counties (east central indiana) are included.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
TOrnado threat pretty low now - more likely just some winds, maybe some hail.

GTO_04

TOrnado threat pretty low now - more likely just some winds, maybe some hail.

And lightning strikes! A house in my neighborhood was struck by lightning this morning. Looks like a total loss. I looked out the front window right after the call went out and I could see the black smoke just billowing everywhere! I was a Noblesville Fire run with mutual aid from Cicero Fire. The residents were out of town. It may have been smoldering for awhile as I had not noticed any lightning strikes around the time the call went out.

GTO_04

Last edited:

Go-24

We will be sure to see some watches/warnings in a few days ... experts are saying a storm for the decades is brewing right now.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Not experts that have any knowledge of severe weather... Could be a nice system, but timing isn't great for Indiana. CERTAINLY nobody with sevwx training would make such a claim in advance, so I wouldn't get too excited :)

Go-24

Certainly not excited, but I would think the NWS is much more knowledgeable than I OR you by a long shot. The prediction was based on a lot meteorological parameters - all of which take knowledge to analyze. I think they were saying the last time the systems were lining up like they are now was back in the 70's and it produced around 40 tornadoes in short time. But hey I guess they could all be full of crap and you could be the real expert. Of course it doesnt take much of an expert to go against low odds and end up being right. LOL!

bessiedawg

TV weather here stated that the low pressure system was one of the lowest they had seen since the 70's.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
the squall lines have been nice for a while, followed it up I44 From OKC till it died near Lebanon,MO at 0430 or so, now being chased by it at the IN/OH Line, Nice Light show

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Certainly not excited, but I would think the NWS is much more knowledgeable than I OR you by a long shot.

You, maybe - me, no ;)

The prediction was based on a lot meteorological parameters - all of which take knowledge to analyze.

Since I'm a severe weather meteorologist, I think that qualifies me as capable.

I think they were saying the last time the systems were lining up like they are now was back in the 70's and it produced around 40 tornadoes in short time.

I understand what that means - I just know that severe weather is impossible to pin down more than a day in advance, so extreme predictions like the above are VERY likely to become outdated by the time of the actual event. In this case - zero tornadoes were reported in Indiana, and it was a high wind event, notable but certainly not historic. The low pressure was nowhere near a remarkably low reading.

Go-24

Since I'm a severe weather meteorologist, I think that qualifies me as capable.

I've been right as often if not more so than the local meteorologist(s) at our local station, so being a weekend warrior doesnt impress me much - sorry. ;)

rcvmo

rdale, heads up
funnel cloud sighted at I-69 and I-96.
Ok the guy changed his story now, wall cloud.
Sirens actviated in delta twp. 10:50pm
rcvmo

rdale

Premium Subscriber
being a weekend warrior doesnt impress me much - sorry.

I'm not a weekend warrior - this is my fulltime job. I'm flown in by conferences across the country to teach severe weather forecasting and radar interpretation to other meteorologists, so even without knowing your qualifications -- I have no concerns with saying I've got more tornado knowledge than you ;)

Here's my report from last night:

Getting married tomorrow so no chasing today, as I had rehearsal this evening. Visited the extended family at a hotel, with a SVR issued for my county. But given lack of reports to my west, I wasn't too concerned.

My cousin opened the window and told me to come look. I figured some gusty winds so no big deal. Finally walked over - and they were not just gusty winds. Sustained 50mph out of the north. Then the tornado sirens sounded, and you could feel vibrations in the hotel. Not fun.

Got everyone in a safe place, went to the lobby and was shocked at the winds. Sustained 70mph out of the north, with patio furniture / pieces of signs / etc. flying past. Scanner has possible tornado near I-96 and I-496 - about 1 mile southwest of me. Told the front desk that people needed to take shelter, she told me there's no warning as she just watched on TV, then she recognized me

Winds still blowing, called in to the station and did some live hits, and it resembled hurricane footage. I'd never seen sustained winds like that before. Gusts yep, but not long lasting. Drove around and dozens of 2-3ft+ trees down or snapped.

As I was driving around, heard a fire call for van on power lines now catching fire. We were just a minute north, so drove on down. PD already on scene - van was fully involved. Looks like they'd turned off the road and likely drove over the lines in the driveway. Ambulance was requested for the occupant, no word on extent of injuries. Happened to get video.

I'd never heard of a car catching fire from driving over power lines before...

Status
Not open for further replies.