tornadoes in black hawk county

Status
Not open for further replies.

derrek_lee_25

im listening from dubuque and im getting black hawk country and its intresting hearing about the storms some one just lost a house

Haley

There is also an ammonia leak (500 gals.) one of the ISP, was having trouble breathing. Quite a bit of comms. on LEA #3 (155.7000). Sounds like quite a few people trapped in houses. Lots of different agencies involved. Mike

Haley

I should say all the IHP freq. are BUSY(all mutual aid channels are also being used). I am also listening to Black Hawk Co. disp. looks like they are in for a rough night (actually sounds like most of us in Iowa will be). Mike

derrek_lee_25

today is a good day in northeast iowa for scanner enthusiasts, im a trained spotter also and im seeing some sweet looking cloud formations in dubuque

Haley

I am listening to the storm spotters talking about storms forming in Lucas county----between Woodbourne and Chariton. Mike

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
You're an idiot if you plan on spotting in the middle of the night like this....

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
burner50 said:
You're an idiot if you plan on spotting in the middle of the night like this....

Why? GPS shows you where you are, the radar shows you where the storm is - I'd rather keep the people in my area safe by safely spotting than just cover my head and be scared :)

Haley

Anyone listening today? I have been listening to the incident center (mostly Butler Co. and Black Hawk Co. dispatch). I just heard on mutual aid (VHF) that they were sending up more paramedics and EMS teams from Jasper and Polk Co. It also sounds like they are having trouble keeping people away from the scene-----those kinds of things drive me nuts! If you dont have any business being there, then STAY AWAY. They have enough to do without having to keep a bunch of gawkers out of the area! Ok, thats my little rant---sorry ,I just think its kind of disrespectful. By the way, I am picking up almost all of the traffic just on the control channel (EDACS-RACOM) of 856.2625. Mike

mikeydcg2003

My Thoughts go out to all who are affected. Was listening to the local Ham repeater out of grimes(443.4000) and heard the spotter that was chasing the parkersberg tornado and his reaction when he got into parkesrberg after it went through.. Was a rough night.. even had to do a bit of spotting stuff myself down here in Dallas County, keeping the spotters on the road informed what was going on on the radar

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
rdale said:
Why? GPS shows you where you are, the radar shows you where the storm is - I'd rather keep the people in my area safe by safely spotting than just cover my head and be scared :)

Rely on computers? Computers are not infallible... I see computers fail every day.

No thanks, when spotting I always want to keep an eye on the prize... Too much riding on me being alive and able to work. Also if you are spotting by radar then somebody else is on top of that particular situation... like the owner of the radar...

How much do you pay for your weather software? Are you willing to risk your life if that software is wrong?

In the bradgate tornado a few years back all the gawkers were there too... All I did was grab some buddies, chainsaws, and gas cans and drove right into town... We werent ONLY there to gawk...

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I wrote the weather software I use - so yes I trust it :)

Radar doesn't show what's happening at the surface, so spotters are needed regardless of the radar coverage.

If you're not comfortable being out at night - so be it, but don't put down those who do...

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
rdale said:
I wrote the weather software I use - so yes I trust it :)

Radar doesn't show what's happening at the surface, so spotters are needed regardless of the radar coverage.

If you're not comfortable being out at night - so be it, but don't put down those who do...

mmmmkay, well you dont own your own radar and get the images from there do you? You are still relying on somebody else and a computer...

Things can go wrong too fast and you wont even be able to see it in the black of night...

BTW, you wrote your own radar software? I'd love to try it out... I cant really find a program i like...

rdale

Premium Subscriber
burner50 said:
mmmmkay, well you dont own your own radar and get the images from there do you? You are still relying on somebody else and a computer...

True, but if I see there are no new images - then I give the storm more leeway. If I see things are current, I'm not concerned.

Things can go wrong too fast and you wont even be able to see it in the black of night...

By default I already stay back a little further just in case.

BTW, you wrote your own radar software? I'd love to try it out... I cant really find a program i like...

Yes, but I don't use that any more. I was talking about RealEMWIN.

There's no better radar software available than the http://grlevelx.com line.

sgtmatt

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to be traveling through all of iowa in july and was wondering where I can find all of the IHP/Skwarn freqs to put in my HT's

MSA

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Click on Database and then select Iowa - right at the top of this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.