Tornadoes in Laramie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin4Wyo

Well, that certainly made for an interesting afternoon. Thank god for the scanner, since I was aware of what and where things were happening from the basement.

Power lines down, trees down, cars turned over, lots of property damage on the East side of town. Nothing our way, but they've got every police officer and sheriff's deputy available on patrol right now since there's so many traffic signals down and debris is strewn everywhere. Still no all clear siren yet.

There's another storm headed our way, right out of CO again. That's pretty sweet.

One of the command officers is trying to get them to sound the sirens again, and it sounds like he's succeeded.

Last edited:

Austin4Wyo

NWS is now advising that there is a tornado in the cell moving N-NW which will be on top of Laramie around 2:30.

I'm hoping I'll be able to get some recorded scanner audio up later tonight, though given the amount of damage and what not around town, not sure we'll even have power.

Thaellar

Be safe Austin. I remember seeing at least a half-dozen tornadoes when I lived in Cheyenne. Unfortunately one went right through town killing 2. I was at FE Warren at the time.

Austin4Wyo

Yeah, back now. No problems around here other than me about breaking my neck after slipping on hail. Internet, TV, and phone were down and just came back up. The second funnel...heheh...I held in upstairs for a while since the whole thing slowed way down, but when they were reporting it heading N-NW again (it had changed direction a few times while I was listening), which from it current position reported by the Sheriff's deputies, was enough for me to decide being downstairs was a better idea.

News is on right now. Boats blown off semis, a few lost roofs, lots of trees knocked over and power lines got hell torn out of 'em. 8,200 without power right now, and Rocky Mountain Power is saying it'll take at least a couple days. Just a few minor injuries, no fatalities. All in all, it could've been a helluva lot worse.

One of the things that is driving me crazy is that the shift commander asked several times for the civil emergency sirens to be activated again when the second warning was issued from NWS. They had a bunch of people out gawking and what not, and every available officer had their PA on in their patrol vehicles telling people to seek shelter again, but for whatever reason, the sirens never were activated. The second round of tornado(es, it sounded like) were on top of Laramie at about 2:35, and the sirens had never sounded.

Also worried about flash flooding right about now. That should be fun for the evening.

Scanner audio (which is broken here and there since I was, ya know, in the basement for a while) can be found here.

Austin4Wyo

NWS just issued another tornado warning for Cheyenne. Right now, we're getting snowed on pretty hard here in Laramie.

Thaellar

I miss the crazy weather up there. I remember one year we were coming back from camping near Snowy Range and a snowstorm just hit all of a sudden and dropped 2 and a half feet closing the I-25 gates at Laramie (east side heading toward Vedauwoo and Lincoln monument). It was the last week of May.

Just hot and humid here.

Last edited:

Austin4Wyo

NWS is reporting to Wyoming HP milepost 25 on I-25. Tornado warning now in effect. Tornado is 12 miles NW of Cheyenne, moving west and 28 miles an hour.

I really, REALLY wish I could get the Laramie County SkyWarn traffic on my scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.