Toroids From RadioShack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Shortwavewave said:
What do all think?

Well, experimenting is fun... but paying attention to the intended application of these things, and parameters such as the type of ferrite mix and it's frequency response can be more useful. By "crossing over" the cap and coil, do you mean making a parallel resonant circuit? What are you trying to accomplish? Where does the dipole fit in with all this?

Shortwavewave

I say Dipole but its not really, its just a wire ran half way through the toroid so its equal on both sides in lenght
These seem to work just fine..wish they were a little bigger but radioshack doesnt give any specs on them.

And by crossover I dont know what the trems for it is but I will put the toroid between the wire and the coax and the vari cap betwee the coax and the rx.

And I have about 7 antennas laying around, and 2 more conntected to my rx, I just like soldering and making new stuff, but dont have to money to go for a real radio building kit or starting from scratch.

What im trying to achive is a antenna that will get me all the signal with no noise becuase of my cave dwelling location, isnt that what everyone wants??

In the next year or 2 I will have a house with a backyard so I can go for some real antennas.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Shortwavewave said:
I say Dipole but its not really, its just a wire ran half way through the toroid so its equal on both sides in lenght
These seem to work just fine..wish they were a little bigger but radioshack doesnt give any specs on them.

No, but they do give some applications, all of which indicate that these are intended to be power supply filters. Ferrite and powdered iron toroid cores are manufactured using different mixes, each mix having an optimized frequency range or purpose. These aren't optimized for RF, so their actual effectiveness is going to be questionable.

Shortwavewave said:
And by crossover I dont know what the trems for it is but I will put the toroid between the wire and the coax and the vari cap betwee the coax and the rx.

Well, that will certainly have some impact on how the antenna operates, but who knows how...

Shortwavewave said:
And I have about 7 antennas laying around, and 2 more conntected to my rx, I just like soldering and making new stuff, but dont have to money to go for a real radio building kit or starting from scratch.

You may want to consider investing your limited resources on a book, like the ARRL Antenna Handbook, which not only shows how to make antennas that actually work, it shows how they work. Many of the antennas shown can be made for almost zero cost. Did I mention that they actually work?

Shortwavewave said:
What im trying to achive is a antenna that will get me all the signal with no noise becuase of my cave dwelling location, isnt that what everyone wants??

It certainly is. There are some very effective, well proven ways of doing just that, but randomly hooking power supply toroids and capacitors probably isn't going to turn out to be one of them. By all means, experiment, learn, and have fun. But you may find it more cost effective, and even more fun, to see what's been shown to work, and attempt to duplicate it. Unless the real goal is to just solder stuff together.

Shortwavewave

Well your right.....These things suck, they really dont do anything.
You maybe wondering why I bought these(oh well out 8 bucks)

From an old amp I had when it broke I took it apart, It had a toroid in it and I used to for my main loop I use now it is the best antenna I have used to this date, only thing different from this toroid than the ones I just bought, is its bigger by looks anyway I dont know the specs but its an inch in dia.

But how was I supposed to know the one from the amp would work and the ones from radioshack wouldnt theres not any specs on them, which brings up the question "why did the bigger toroid from the amp work?"

I actually have both the ARRL Hand Book and the ARRL Antenna Book, and the Practical Antenna Book, as well as a few others that are no more than 10 pages long Like the Bevrage Antenna Book from Universal. The formulas are difficult to understand but I can Understand about 75% of whats supposed to be done, one antenna I have its a multiband 40-10meter Trap Dipole from the ARRL Handbook.

We learn somthing everyday!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Toroids can also be quite handy for building 9:1 (longwire) baluns. To be honest, I've been reading up a little on them in the Shortwave SWL antenna yahoo group to see if I can improve my noise rejection on some of the antennas I have. It looks quite simple to build one, if I can find the wire, and I need to get a simple low cost hot glue gun from a crafts shop, but it should be an interesting learning experience. I've got a few toroids in my junk box around here somewhere....73 Mike

caylorman

Premium Subscriber
RFI filtering

Would these be useful of RFI filtering of radio power leads?

Status
Not open for further replies.