Toronto Police Services and other Police Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the TPS and other PS services in Ontario no longer accessible on scanners?
I am looking on FreeScan under Canada, Ontario, Toronto, and Available Systems and there isn't any police services listed there. :(
Did the same thing for Peel and Durham.

Thanks,

NVM, sigh, I think I found it.. under TES for Toronto, will check the other regions now.

Nothing for Durham, no police, fire or ambulance service.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Look on the database In the Mode column, DE(phase 1) and TE(TDMA Phase 2) indicate the talk groups full time encryption De and Te indicate partial use of encryption.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
If anyone is keeping track Chatham. Waterloo, and Barrie, are still in the clear. For now until the big E rolls into town. There are bunch of talkgroups for TPS both phase l and ll. Not sure what they are put probably TPS related.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I have a 436. I can monitor the OPP, MTOE, MOH, MNR, From Peel to sometimes as far as Chatham.

Waterloo is still in the clear. Toronto is massive and hard to monitor anyways.

Scanning is not dead yet here.

I have a 436. I can monitor the OPP, MTOE, MOH, MNR, From Peel to sometimes as far as Chatham.

Waterloo is still in the clear. Toronto is massive and hard to monitor anyways.

Scanning is not dead yet here.

So your saying no, or the database isn't accurate here on RadioReference?

Thanks,

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
You cant listen to the police unless it's OPP or MTO, MNR, or EMS. York, Peel, Halton, Hamilton, Niagara, Durham police services are all encrypted.

No scanner will now or ever be able to decode encrypted transmissions. There is still a lot to listen too! Most fire services are still monitorable. and pretty much all paramedic services are all monitorable.
The 436 is a great scanner, Ive had for five years now and no complaints! There is lots to listen to. Do some digging around the database and your bound to find lots to listen too! Eric said it best, the hobby is very much alive.

I understand from your profile your in Richmond Hill. All the emergency services (excluding OPP. EMS MNR, MTO) are on the York Region P25 system. The fire dispatch, bylaw, and regional works stuff is all in the clear, Most of the works departments for the municipalities are still analog VHF.

Some good info for your area can be found here;

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
So your saying no, or the database isn't accurate here on RadioReference?

Thanks,

The database is very accurate and is handled very well by Mike and Forts. I imagine that there are people that do have some info in regards to systems, tg, etc but don't want to submit it but this is THE place for scanner knowledge.

I have a 436 and I drove from Hamilton to Toronto today and I'm now in Oakville. The entire trip in and out there was plenty to listen to. I set up a list for this particular commute so I used Charlton, then Mowat and Fonthill to listen to action.

I also monitored the Toronto Fire and EMS while I was there. Now in Oakville I get Mowat, Fonthill, Charlton and Skylon as well the Halton system.

Yes the gov't will eventually put up a new radio system to replace Fleetnet but it will take years to put up and maybe it will take a long time for all the users to transition.

In 2002 Fleetnet allowed the OPP to move to P25 but the MOH transitioned slowly, Hamilton and HALTON CACC moved onto it in 2005 and London CACC was using conventional frequs till mid 2006.

Enjoy what we have now

You cant listen to the police unless it;s OPP or MTO, MNR, or EMS. York, Peel, Halton, Hamilton, Niagara, Durham police services are all encrypted. No scanner will now or ever be able to decode encrypted transmissions.

Please read what you wrote and tell me does the 436 allow you to listen to OPP or MTO, MNR, or EMS. York, Peel, Halton, Hamilton, Niagara, Durham emergency services or not? Because your statement contradicts itself because first you say not "UNLESS IT'S" then follow up with they are encrypted and nothing can decrypt them. lol

I am not bad mouthing the folks who create the database. I am just trying to confirm the P25 listings in the database, do they work on the 436 or am I going to waste the $520-$700 on a scanner with will become a paper weight? lol

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I am not bad mouthing the folks who create the database. I am just trying to confirm the P25 listings in the database, do they work on the 436 or am I going to waste the $520-$700 on a scanner with will become a paper weight? lol
Yes, you can listen to the FleetNet system. That's the OPP, MTO, Ministry of Natural Resources. They are not, I repeat not encrypted.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber

P25 NON-encrypted will work
P25 encrypted will not

As mentioned in post 2 when you look at a database
" In the Mode column, DE(phase 1) and TE(TDMA Phase 2) indicate the talk groups full time encryption De and Te indicate partial use of encryption. "

For example

Fire is D so can be heard on a digital scanner
Police is DE so no can not be heard

The 436 is a nice scanner just enter your postal code and it scans away systems within the set range/service types (fire etc) that you set. Easy

Please read what you wrote and tell me does the 436 allow you to listen to OPP or MTO, MNR, or EMS. York, Peel, Halton, Hamilton, Niagara, Durham emergency services or not? Because your statement contradicts itself because first you say not "UNLESS IT'S" then follow up with they are encrypted and nothing can decrypt them. lol

There was a period in there.... Air11 said
You cant listen to the police unless it;s OPP or MTO OPP or MTO, MNR, or EMS.
[period]

York, Peel, Halton, Hamilton, Niagara, Durham police services are all encrypted
[Toronto Police as well but Fire and Ems and can be heard]

Status
Not open for further replies.