Toronto soccer fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathalogical

Expect chaos if Italy wins (so far 1-0 for Italy). The police just assigned ID:1040 (79-TPS-9) in anticipation after the game for St. Clair Ave and College St. Based on yesterdays post game between Portugal and Angola, win or loose, the fans are gonna hit the streets !!! Sounds like the police are getting ready.

Forza Italia !!!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
2 things I dont get:
1) These are early games. Its like your hockey club in the first round of the playoffs no?
Cheer yes, take over Little Italy why?
2) Its great to see interest in soccer here, its a great game to watch at this level but perhaps the people who love this game should play it here and invest time in playing and developing it here. Isnt the American league of Soccer coming here soon?
Go U.S.A.
Eric
P.S. I am surprised to see so many red and green flags from Portugal north of Eglinton and so many Trinadad & Tobago flags on Eg W of Marlee. They outnumber the Italian ones.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Graeme: Lol.

Last night was quiet here in the big smoke.

To be totally honest and this is really gonna sound snobby but when I was growing up in Montreal in the 70's baseball was my game (still is) and WE EXPECTED the Habs to win every year.
And they pretty much did thru the 70's save for a few seasons of Bobby Orr led dominance (they should have won more cups but Cherry was a crappy coach) and goonery in Philly.
So, at the time there was no violence.
In 1986 and '93 the goonery started up during those cup runs and the fans were as stupid as any other.
I was at the '93 riots (viewing, drinking beer, etc, not rioting), and it was sad to see all the idiot fans go nuts and smash things, set things on fire, etc.

I guess the 'masses' go nuts when there team wins.
In all my experiences in Toronto, these events have been peaceful but then again the Leafs never REALLY advance all that far in the post season, all gloves are off if they do.

pathalogical

I think maybe the excitement is due to the fact that soccer comes around every four years and it's all decided in a month from first games to the last game when the winner takes the trophy. Hockey, baseball, football is pretty much played for almost a year. When you win the World Cup or break a world record at the Olympics, you have four years of "bragging" rights before anyone can take it away from you. If no one breaks your world record, you're still number one for another four years. I'm not a sports fan, never been to a Leafs or Jays game, but when a sporting event has "world" in it, it does generate a lot of excitment, well, around the world ! Every game won just brings you closer to the big prize. Imagine if the Stanley Cup rolled around every four years.

EJB,
I agree, if the Leafs ever win the cup, this city would go nuts like when the Jays won the World Series...twice !!!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Path: If the Leafs ever won the cup it would dwarf any celebration we have ever seen.
It would tower over any World Cup buildup
But first they decide whether or not to renew Domi's contract
lol
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.