Toronto Tow truck driver helps police listening to his scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin_Jay

A toronto tow truck driver, helps apprehend a fleeing driving suspect, on Highway 401,
after the police cruiser ended up in the ditch after giving chase to the vehicle.
This tow truck driver heard the Police call on his scanner, and helped apprehend the suspect,
The police sargent gives thanks to the tow truck driver for helping

So, here is a good story about somebody listening to police on a scanner, and actually helping.

Here is the article in toronto star...

Toronto News: Tow truck driver helps apprehend suspect in high-speed chase - thestar.com

They actually patched him in to the police car system. It says in the article.
Be interesting to hear the audio for sure.

Last edited:

nfoman

Premium Subscriber
Cool stuff! The day I see a cabbie do that I might change my mind about them

unlisted

Most likely they "patched" his cell phone direct to the PD dispatcher/ and possibly on the dispatch channel.

Would be a interesting radio call to listen to..

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Full story here (6:20):
News Final: Jan 14 - News Final - Videos | Global Toronto

I shot that story and it was definitely an interesting call to listen to! The sergeant involved in the chase was very calm and collected, and that's likely the reason they never called off the pursuit. His cruiser was forced into a snowy ditch by the suspect, and that was when the tow truck driver picked it up and chased him down McCowan. The radio traffic was hilarious, "Dispatch, the tow truck driver is now in foot pursuit..." The dispatcher said, "10-4, have him keep up his location."

One tow truck driver stayed with the sergeant, and was getting the info from his co-worker via two way radio.

Tracker

Lmaoo, I never heard of that charge!
"Stephen Chitti, 32, is facing eight charges, including STUNT DRIVING, fail to comply with probation, driving under suspension and possession of marijuana.

Tracker

Most likely they "patched" his cell phone direct to the PD dispatcher/ and possibly on the dispatch channel.

Would be a interesting radio call to listen to..

Yeah, that would be great to hear.

"Fraser praised Pogue for following the Lancer at a safe distance, conveying the suspect’s location to police and allowing officers to make the arrest"

I think they used the wrong terminology......I think they were just relaying the info to the cops on their radios, which he obviously was listening too on the scanner.

VE3JSO

the stunt driveing charge was out for a few years now it when you go over the speed limit i forgot how much over they will charge you with stunt driving and impound your car and suspend you license

Tracker

the stunt driveing charge was out for a few years now it when you go over the speed limit i forgot how much over they will charge you with stunt driving and impound your car and suspend you license

That is Wreckless Driving......in Florida anyways

Tracker

Yeah. we have street racing n drag racing as state statutes........ n careless n wreckless n +++, (I guess Florida has a nice array to choose from)....
I guess the STUNT DRIVING is meant to cover more than one infraction....,maybe?
I just thought it was funny..is all.....

Command30

That is Wreckless Driving......in Florida anyways

Well, in Ontario there is careless driving which is defined in the Highway Traffic Act as "driving without due care and attention (dangerous driving, a separate charge in Ontario, is a criminal one)

"Stunt driving" in Ontario includes street racing, driving 50 kph over the speed limit, as well as a surprisingly wide variety of other infractions.

Infact, I might be as bold to suggest that the tow truck driver may have been "following in a manner that indicated an intention to chase" the Mitsubishi Lancer. Yes, that fits the above definition of a street race in Ontario!

Tracker

Well it sounded kinda funny to me that a state would list a stature as "Stunt Driving"...is all
Am certain that they knew which statute to charge that perp with
In Florida that tow truck driver would have been included in some of the smaller parades n given a commendation by the officers department....

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
The sergeant told me that the tow will be considered for a civilian citation.
The tow truck driver also told me how fast he was driving to keep up with the bandit, but they decided not to include that part in the story...:)

smitty9999

I find this story outrageous. The tow truck driver is being praised for speeding and driving recklessly? The police always give out media releases stating something along the lines of "average citizens are not encouraged to take matters into their own hands, we encourage them to call 911 and leave the rest for trained professionals."

Tracker

I find this story outrageous. The tow truck driver is being praised for speeding and driving recklessly? The police always give out media releases stating something along the lines of "average citizens are not encouraged to take matters into their own hands, we encourage them to call 911 and leave the rest for trained professionals."

NO IncorrectO. the tow truck driver is being praised for "following" n assisting in the offenders capture.........his speed n drivin tactics are of little to No importance here......could you imagine if he was cited....is that what you would have liked seen.........? (Incredible)

If one day you need the police to assist you, I sure hope that once they reach you don't ask the officer if he sped or broke any traffic laws to reach you.....

Please think before you type......are you a Democrat by chance? Geeeez!

vinzep491

I'm glad to hear everyone was safe number one.

Second, It is SO GREAT to hear a story about a scanner listerner that is positive and beneficial to our hobby.
All too often do we read about the scanner in a negative light, be it thru online apps or criminals using them in a commision of a crime.

Hats off to the tow truck driver and to the media coverage of this event.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
The sergeant told me that the tow will be considered for a civilian citation.
The tow truck driver also told me how fast he was driving to keep up with the bandit, but they decided not to include that part in the story...:)

in a 12,000lb tow truck to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.