Toronto Transit Commission - PowerTrunk TETRA

Heavy_D

Toronto Transit Commission has been testing a TETRA system since prior to October 2019. It is to be switched in to full operation for their surface fleet on January 19, 2020 (underground staff and subway to changed at a later date).

Is there currently any way to scan a TETRA system?

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Great. I am not familiar with SDR. I will have to look it up. Easy to use?

Well, from the RTL-SDR.com website, they put this disclaimer:

Please note that the RTL-SDR is not a plug and play device. You will need to have sufficient skills to perform basic PC operations such as unzipping files, installing software, moving and copying files and have the motivation to learn new software.

So, I guess you can decide.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Not hearing any traffic on the surface channels the last couple hours while monitoring on my 436. I hate to say it but it looks like the simulcasting might have ceased...

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
The CIS channels seem to be up with streetcar traffic.

Heavy_D

The CIS channels seem to be up with streetcar traffic.
It is just a matter of time before those get cut too. That is, once the Bombardier low-floors are installed with what the bus fleet is now using. It is Cleaver Devices CAD system nicknamed VISION by the brass at TTC.
There was some proprietary issues with Bombardier where Bombardier wanted their CAD system installed into the streetcars. Honestly, I don't know what the end result became and what will be installed in to the streetcars.
The older buses that VISION (Orion VII buses) could not be installed in to are using hand-helds mounted to the dash, some sort of digital radio linked to the VISION system; they are setup to call the control desk and the operator has to wait for a responce.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
I decided to go back to SDR#v1.0.0.17.32 and use the TETRA plug-in.

Works fine and I was listening to Surface 1, Wheeltrans and Streetcar Supervisors again. Remember to change modulation to WFM.

Heavy_D

I decided to go back to SDR#v1.0.0.17.32 and use the TETRA plug-in.

Works fine and I was listening to Surface 1, Wheeltrans and Streetcar Supervisors again. Remember to change modulation to WFM.

Thanks. I will have to give that a go one of these days.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
You said you're using a TETRA plugin for SDR#, I don't see it in the Airspy download section?

Would you be so kind as to provide a basic how-to on how to listen to TTC Tetra on Windows setup like you have? I have a spare SDR dongle from when I was doing ADSB for FlightAware.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
It's not listed on the Airspy landing page, but when you download the community package, it will appear on the menu.

• Start the SDR dongle
  • Open the Tetra Demodulator.
  • Click on Demodulate.
  • Click on Config, check all the boxes.
  • Watch for the solid thick red line on the waterfall.
  • Wait

HiVolt

Feed Provider
I'm not having much luck. I have an older RTL2832U R820T2 dongle, and when I select it from the pulldown menu (RTL SDR R820T) it says source is not ready. Then if I click the config icon and attempt to select it as Generic RTL2832U OEM, it says Cannot open RTL device, is it locked somewhere.

Is there a special driver for this? Windows 10 loaded one by default when I inserted it.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
Ok I ran Zadig and installed the driver, the SDR appears to be recognized by SDR#.

How do i enter the frequencies to scan? Its a trunked system so is there a way to set up talkgroups?

Sorry for being a newb at this...

Or can I use an external scanner to feed this tetra demodulator via line input of a sound card?

HiVolt

Feed Provider
Ok, I am hearing some things... Seems like bus operations... Is there a way to specify what you want to listen to?

Seems the only thing that locks in as "Receiving" is freq 422.800. There are other red lines coming down but i can't get anything from them.

Last edited:

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
I'm not trunking it. I'm parked on 422.6875 with a lot of Subway traffic. I just sniff out activity.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
Interesting... I've only picked up a few subway tower calls, but its mostly the surface supervisors (old ch1), streetcars (old ch5), even heard a janitor call for a spill, lol.

Could it matter where one is located? I'm in Scarborough.