Toshiba Satellite T2105/260 old win 3.11/3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I have a old laptop and over the years things got lost but I would like to get this old dos based computer going again.

I have Windows 3.10 loaded into it but I believe it had originally came with Windows 3.11.

I do believe it also had a basic sound midi driver which also needed commands in the autoexec.bat and the config.sys I have tried many commands of various forms and nothing and I do believe I might be lacking the specific driver for it as I recall it had sound at one time.

This old Toshiba Satellite T2105/260 is a monochrome DOS and Windows 3.1x based system.

Model PA1176U

I have tried to contact Toshiba and their system doesn't even recognize this model at all when I had contacted them. There is now a few basic drivers they list but it is for the Windows 95 based color T2105.

I am looking for anyone out there who has the original driver and utility files that are willing to share.

While 3.10 works it used 3.11 and had all the stuff. It was a hand me down I had got which the original drive failed.

I have searched a very long time on getting this retro beast going to its proper configuration for old DOS based radio stuff.

Anyone recall or have the files for this ancient well over 20 year machine?

I know it's a long shot but worth it to me.

Thanks

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I'll give it a try. I did run into a colored more later version of the satellite series I ended up buying that has the entire system in it with drivers I intend to mirror and save with 3.11

If the above works I'll just stick with that on the old monochrome.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Got things going with the link you provided.

I also got the other one in a surplus old Toshiba T2105CT.

Within it were some text files and a user with the call sign of WR9F.

I looked his info up and if WR9F is out there still I want to ask him a couple questions on this old pc he once used, or had and jog his memory on the sound or if it had any at all.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Got things going with the link you provided.

Nice! It gives me great pride knowing I helped someone with their computer or website issues. I'm not a Pro or anything, just well rounded in its subject matter and it's why I created my own computer help forum. Though, social media and other similar sites are major competition.

Within it were some text files and a user with the call sign of WR9F.

I might be a little careful with that endeavor. You might want to point out where you bought or got the laptop and describe how a file was left on it that had the callsign.

Funny you mention that because I read a headline a coupe days ago about how a good majority of the HDDs on eBay, etc weren't wiped which to me would be a social engineering/hacker treasure trove of monumental proportions.

With a platter mechanical drive wipe with Darik's Boot and Nuke. With a SSD or other flash-based storage use Parted Magic. Using a disk wiper meant for a platter on flash-based media will increase the write cycles and increase the MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure).

After that and if you want to be extra paranoid you can write a bunch of junk to the disk (and I'm sure you can download tons of it for this purpose) and then using Truecrypt or VeraCrypt, encrypt the drive then format.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I have thought about it though older machines it's hard to come by with a complete system with its software in mint condition that wont have issues.

As for the hard drive it may have come from another satellite 2100 has the side cover for the hard drive was kind of offset so I was able to reset that but I also have proof of where I purchased it from.

I'm thinking it is originally for this one but I'll never know for sure but it was bought off your one and only favorite site everybody loves.

Mainly for programming older radios for as my other one is on the way out but still usable at this time only Advantage is right now are more memory on this one and the full windows 3.11 at default minus the sound issue that I have always pondered about these old Toshibas.

I could have sworn at one time the one that is monochrome and old which I restored with the links you provided used to have sound at one time but a very basic sound wave type using the internal speaker they came with however I am not sure if there was a pcmcia card for that or if it was the actual internal speaker I had even taken apart that laptop to see if I could find the sound card and there was nothing on it to indicate what it was to give an idea of what driver would be needed.

With this other one I am able now to have a colored LCD and a running old machine for true Dos as the other one is on its way out.

If anybody out there knows about the satellite Toshiba 2100 series had any type of sound driver using the internal basic speaker or a pcmcia card I would love to talk to them for a little bit or find a source to get something to make it have sound again.

while it is pretty much useless it is a old bugger that as bothering me on the one that is going out ( monochrome one i have originally, plus this colored one) would like to get going again cuz I swore I heard when it was given to me prior to the hard drive being and replaced with a fresh new hard drive a wav clip of Arnold saying I'll be back when it was logged out.

So I'm not sure if it's pcmcia card for audio for these or internal and needing a basic driver for wav.

As for the internet and such isn't going to happen as they are so old and used the old 14 k or the 24K modems and I have no intention of going back to that from high speed fiber LOL

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Not sure if this is your model, but this site m ay be your ticket for a search. https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1073769673

Now the audio drivers they offer are Win 95/98 though.

As for the internet and such isn't going to happen as they are so old and used the old 14 k or the 24K modems and I have no intention of going back to that from high speed fiber LOL

Get one of these: Linksys LAN 10/100 PCMIA card | eBay

Does Win 3.11 have a built in browser? Even so, it's so old I doubt the browser will be capable of rendering modern web pages. But you can navigate to a FTP server. I did this with a very old netbook of sorts from HP. It had a serial port and that was it. No floppy, etc. Those were all external devices which I had none. I did have a PCMIA network card and Win 98se installed a default driver for it for the dial-up modem. I think found a free dial-up service worth 10 hours and went online and downloaded the network driver for the 10/100 ethernet capability for the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.