BC346XT: Total Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansmall

Ok, call me an idiot but I spent a lot of money on this BC346XTC and can't figure out how to make it scan !!!

I've loaded numerous "systems" most conventional UHF / VHF all divided up nicely by location and agency BUT, It's all or nothing, either I stop the scan and spin the multi switch on top until I hit one frequency I want and leave it there or let it scan but it only scans what it wants, I cant select one or two of my systems and leave everything else off.

Also, I'm sitting at the airport, I have all of the preset Air frequencies (ATC, Ground etc) loaded from this site but never pick anything up.

I started this life with a 4 channel crystal VHF scanner from Radio Shack.... this new thing has me beat, any thoughts before I jump off a bridge??

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
BC346xt

I too started early on scanning, actually with a single frequency dial tuned radio. The Newer Unidens can be frustrating due to the quick key system. I have Uniden and RS/GRE scaners, and the Uniden quick keys were much more confusing than the RS/GRE V-folders and setup.. If you want to send me one of you files, I will be glad to see if I can find the problem and get you going.

dansmall

Anything you can do will be greatly appreciated. I've attached what's in the little bugger now.

Attachments

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
You didn't tell us where you are located, please put your general location in your profile. It helps people with figuring what you can and can't hear. You have SF stuff and LA stuff listed.

Couple of things I noticed - few of your systems have quick keys assigned. Generally, it's how you turn things off and on.

Second - for your air, you seem to have just random stuff. You aren't going to hear anything for ACARS frequencies, for instance - you need a decoder for them. I'm only looking at the systems that have quick keys assigned. You also have a lof of channels that have a frequency of "0" - not good, don't know how that happened (I use FreeScan, not ProScan).

It's not a good idea to throw a whole bunch of stuff in the radio without knowing how it works. I would trash what you have and start over, programming specific stuff to listen to. Program each system, and assign a quick key for the systems and groups for each one you add.

Lastly, be glad you didn't get a BCD396XT and be frustrated with having spent that kind of money only to be frustrated (that was me)! Going from conventional scanning to the DMA scanners can be really frustrating. That's why it's better to start small and learn how they work. Program a few systems, both conventional and trunk to get a feel for how things work. Turn systems on and off. Turn groups on and off (quick keys are your friend!). Once you get the hang of it, you'll be a programming fool - I think they are great radios to use once you "get it". I routinely program for travel and am delighted when I hear something I've programmed, and have yet to not be able to make changes on the fly to get things working once I get there.

Be sure to read the Easier to Read BC346XT Scanner Manual

Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.