Total newb screw-up; advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2GOM

Right now, my only scanner is a Uniden BCD396T. Thanks to some gracious help from a friend, it is programmed with a bunch of counties in upstate New York, and I have a "cheat sheet" for them.

So to turn on, say, Fulton County, I press DOT ONE THREE, and the 396 dutifully scans Fulton County. To turn Fulton County off, I press DOT ONE THREE again. So far, so good. The same procedure applies for any other county that is programmed into the scanner. In addition, I have a system that I have programmed via FREESCAN for civilian air frequencies, and another one for nationwide emergency frequencies. In case you are interested, that list can be found here --https://graywolfsurvival.com/2716/ham-radio-best-shtfdisaster-communication/ -- scroll down a ways.

So yesterday, I am scanning a local county, the air frequencies system, and the emergency frequencies system all at the same time. A bit later, I decided to change what I am scanning. I carefully enter the codes for each system -- the county, air, and emergency. The result should be that the scanner says there is "nothing to scan."

Instead, the scanner is rapidly switching between something call TOC and WPWW86. I can't get it to stop. I turn the scanner on and off. It is still doing it. I remove the batteries and then put them back. Still doing it. I try doing a "service search" and then going back to scanning. No improvement. Clearly, I have invoked something that I don't know how to turn off.

Finally, I notice that when the scanner is scanning systems (ie, not doing a service search), there are two lines at the bottom of the screen.

One says "S", followed by a bunch of Xs and a number, and other line says "GRP", followed by a series of numbers. So, in desperation, every time a number appears the S line, I press that number. The number disappears, and another number pops up. I keep pressing the numbers until the screen says "nothing to scan." Phew.

But then I worry: "Suppose I have turned off all systems so that the scanner is totally deaf or that major parts of systems have been turned off so that when I ask it to scan, say, a county, it will be scanning only a fraction of what it is supposed to scan?"

In the end, I connect the 396 to the computer and use FREESCAN to wipe out the entire memory and than reload everything. It takes about 45 minutes.

So, the questions.

1. With the BCD396T, is there a magic command to get it to stop everything and let you start over?

2. Alternatively, is pressing the numbers that appear in the S line until "nothing to scan" appears the right thing to do?

3. Or maybe I should not tell the scanner to scan more than one system at a time.

Advice?

Scanner Reset to initialize the scanner's memory, turn off the scanner. Then press 2, 9, and Hold while turning it on (It helps if you can lay it flat).

Important! This deletes all programmed data. You cannot restore the preprogrammed data that has been deleted.

I suggest you reset the scanner and reload the programming.

The numbers on the screen are Quick Keys.

You can read more about them in the "Easier to Read" manual

Enjoy!

marksmith

Other than a total reset (mentioned above) you did what I would do.

I would say you diagnosed the problem just fine and probably your radio would have worked fine without clearing and reloading, but if it didn't, you again did what I would have. Its possible something whacked the dynamic memory.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Im sure I have your answer, resetting doesnt solve your issue.

Sounds like your guy didnt apply a quickkey to TOC and WPWW86 and so they are always on. Resetting will erase the programming, but if the programming is flawed, sounds like it is for these two systems it will just be the same.

If you have zero desire for TOC and WPWW86, this works on 396XT next version 396T-
While scanning those, press the upper button the left side and quickly push the L/O button twice to lock them out.

In Freescan locate the TOC and WPWW86 systems and check if they have quickkeys, might not. Assign em unique quickkeys.

This also can be done in the scanner itself.
While scanning each of the TOC and WPWW86 systems, press HOLD then E, if its a trunked system go to Edit Site and press E, scroll to Set quick key, if it shows just a . , then no quick key assigned. Scroll down to a unique quickkey and press E. Push Scan, then do the same to the other.

If its NOT a trunked system, push HOLD then press E, push side lower button twice, if done right 'Edit name' is shown, scroll to set quick key, if it shows just a . , then no quick key assigned. Scroll down to a unique quickkey and press E. Press Scan.

Last edited:

KB2GOM

Im sure I have your answer, resetting doesnt solve your issue.

Sounds like your guy didnt apply a quickkey to TOC and WPWW86 and so they are always on. Resetting will erase the programming, but if the programming is flawed, sounds like it is for these two systems it will just be the same.

If you have zero desire for TOC and WPWW86, this works on 396XT next version 396T-
While scanning those, press the upper button the left side and quickly push the L/O button twice to lock them out.

In Freescan locate the TOC and WPWW86 systems and check if they have quickkeys, might not. Assign em unique quickkeys.

This also can be done in the scanner itself.
While scanning each of the TOC and WPWW86 systems, press HOLD then E, if its a trunked system go to Edit Site and press E, scroll to Set quick key, if it shows just a . , then no quick key assigned. Scroll down to a unique quickkey and press E. Push Scan, then do the same to the other.

If its NOT a trunked system, push HOLD then press E, push side lower button twice, if done right 'Edit name' is shown, scroll to set quick key, if it shows just a . , then no quick key assigned. Scroll down to a unique quickkey and press E.

Awesome!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
So, the questions.

1. With the BCD396T, is there a magic command to get it to stop everything and let you start over? That scanner reset will do the job, but that is a nuclear option. Like stripping all the paint off you car and re-painting it because there is some bird stuff on it. Just turn the System Quick Keys back on which may be listed on your cheat sheet.

2. Alternatively, is pressing the numbers that appear in the S line until "nothing to scan" appears the right thing to do? If you want to turn "stuff" off, yes. You can reverse the process and turn things on by reversing your steps as in pressing the numbers associated with asterisks.

3. Or maybe I should not tell the scanner to scan more than one system at a time. Nah, your scanner can scan as many systems as you can program in it. Might take some time, but there is no such thing as "overload".

Use your scanner's menu system to Program System and look for those TOC and WPWW86 systems if you can find them. You could try hitting th lockout button when they appear which may or may not work. (Hard to tell what those are programmed as, channels or systems.)

As noted above, you have turned off all the System Quick Keys, therefore effectively turning off all the systems. The things left do not have System Quick Keys.

dazza0768

So, the questions.

1. With the BCD396T, is there a magic command to get it to stop everything and let you start over? That scanner reset will do the job, but that is a nuclear option. Like stripping all the paint off you car and re-painting it because there is some bird stuff on it. Just turn the System Quick Keys back on which may be listed on your cheat sheet.

2. Alternatively, is pressing the numbers that appear in the S line until "nothing to scan" appears the right thing to do? If you want to turn "stuff" off, yes. You can reverse the process and turn things on by reversing your steps as in pressing the numbers associated with asterisks.

3. Or maybe I should not tell the scanner to scan more than one system at a time. Nah, your scanner can scan as many systems as you can program in it. Might take some time, but there is no such thing as "overload".

Use your scanner's menu system to Program System and look for those TOC and WPWW86 systems if you can find them. You could try hitting th lockout button when they appear which may or may not work. (Hard to tell what those are programmed as, channels or systems.)

As noted above, you have turned off all the System Quick Keys, therefore effectively turning off all the systems. The things left do not have System Quick Keys.
The S line are your system quick keys. Its showing you what is on.
Make sure you have quick keys set for those systems still scanning then turn those quick keys off. Sounds like they are not set with quick keys or you had those ones with quick keys assigned but turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.