Total Newbie needs help with RadioShack Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpking1960

Please help someone kind. Hello My Dad just got the Radio Shack PRO 652 scanner for christmas. I have no clue about these radios. I guess it is the same as the Pro 197 from what i have read.
All he wants to do is scan the Police, Ems, etc in his hometown of Morgantown WV. He now has a hand held. We hoped this one would scan better? reach out further? etc.
Anyways we bought the PC interface cable to hopefully help with the programming. The directions sent me to this site. I have no clue what to do from here.
Can anyone give me simple instructions to get us going? my plan was to program this thing then take the 30 dollar cable back to radio shack.

they did at least print me out the frequencies of Monogalia county west virginia. but i am sorry i have no idea what to do next.

He is old and feeble and has no clue to help me he just wants to listen is all

please be kind and help me out. thank you very much in advance.

jpking1960

a few more notes please....

also i watched the you tube videos on programming i followed every step and programed in like a dozen frequencies from the list i printed off..
when i scan i do not hear a single thing....??

bout ready to take this back to radio shack.

R

retiredmich

It's not that easy to try to tell some one how to program a scanner. There are different steps you have to do. If you know some one near you that can help that would be the best way to go. Or follow the direction of the manual . And it also would be helpful if you used PM or Email.

Last edited:

jpking1960

Thank you for your response actually there are pretty good videos on Youtube that show you how and i have followed them EXACTLY. however when i scan i hear nothing at all. im not sure if it is just the antenna or if i have missed something. I have tried a couple different times.

Thank you i know what you mean about that it is not so easy.

thing is on some settings i was guessing...like P25 auto etc so i may have missed something i guess

but thanks anyways

jpking1960

thank you for your reply. I have read the manual as well as the youtube videos that are very good. I think i did most things right but some i had to guess on like P25 etc. so i must have something wrong or the antenna is just not good enough because when i scan i hear nothing at all.

thanks

bailly2

morgantown police and fire are on the west virginia statewide trunked system.
West Virginia Statewide Interoperability Radio Network (SIRN) Trunking System, Statewide, West Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

To Create a New Trunked System Object press PGM then F1 (NEW) then F1 (TGRP).
You are now in the Talkgroup Menu.
A new Group 'Wildcard' ID is created in the Default Scan List that will receive all (not private) talkgroups.
Press until TSYS: is selected.
Press or to select NEW then press SEL/ENT.
You are now in the Trunked System Menu.
then goto TSYS (Trunked System) Menu in the following manual
marksscanners.com/106_197/106_197.shtml#global settings

Nasby

Often, the local Radio Shack will program it for you for free.

Maybe call a couple local Radio Shacks and ask to speak to a manager and see if he can help you out.

jpking1960

Thanks so much i just called them and they said they would do it. Thank you everyone that posted to try to help. Great board. Happy Holidays.

John

rjlaird62

Premium Subscriber
Same problem

I have the same problem. I also used the video to program. But when I downloaded the frequencies and the scanner rebooted all I got was a message saying scanning and no hits. I would be interested in what Radio Shack tells you.

Nasby

I have the same problem. I also used the video to program. But when I downloaded the frequencies and the scanner rebooted all I got was a message saying scanning and no hits. I would be interested in what Radio Shack tells you.

I think a local Radio Shack offered to program the scanner for him.

If you are still having trouble with yours, maybe you would have luck with a local Radio Shack person who could program your scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.