Totally green owner of Uniden 346XT in Fresno area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb76

Greetings helpful souls:

Next to zero experience with scanners and here I have this semi-complicated device with some nebulous instructions.

I feel part of it is straight forward , at least in respect to the 'analog' channels that the receiver comes ready to play. I can certainly read instructions, go through the CD manual and click through the Wiki's then scroll thought the menu and punch in frequencies, etc. But it becomes a little byzantine especially, when you don't have familiarity with the systems in use in the area.

I've read a link that lists channels which I can program, but seldom is there traffic on these channels.

I'm inferring there is a trunked system in use, so what is the best way to get access to that system? Is there a link that gives information about systems in different regions and what to program?

Thank you in advance

Engine104

Member since 2005
Greetings helpful souls:

Next to zero experience with scanners and here I have this semi-complicated device with some nebulous instructions.

I feel part of it is straight forward , at least in respect to the 'analog' channels that the receiver comes ready to play. I can certainly read instructions, go through the CD manual and click through the Wiki's then scroll thought the menu and punch in frequencies, etc. But it becomes a little byzantine especially, when you don't have familiarity with the systems in use in the area.

I've read a link that lists channels which I can program, but seldom is there traffic on these channels.

I'm inferring there is a trunked system in use, so what is the best way to get access to that system? Is there a link that gives information about systems in different regions and what to program?

Thank you in advance

As far as programming trunked radio systems goes, I highly suggest that you take a look at some software, such as Butel's software for Uniden scanners. I use their ARC-160 program for my Uniden manufactured Radio Shack Pro-162, and it works great.

Go to Software for Uniden HOME PATROL HP1 HP-1 PRO-700 Radioshack GRE GRECOM MFJ DSE AOR police scanner software BCD996XT BCD396XT BC346T BCT15X PRO-404 PRO-405 PRO-97 PRO-96 PRO-2096 PRO-106 PRO-197 PRO-164 PRO-160 PRO-162 psr500 psr600 psr300 psr400 psr1 , click on the Uniden link in the left hand column and then click on the 346XT you see pictured there. It's well worth the $39.00 investment.

I hope that helps.

Best,

-Larry (KG6EJT)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes ARC-XT is one of the programs the 346 will work from, but we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Let's start with the basics - what is DMA, how does it work, what is trunking, and so forth. There are a few places to go in our wiki to get started on this, and here's one (all links are in blue)...

Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

It's important to know how to program systems, sites and groups - and how quick keys relate to one another, and their various types. There is a link at the bottom of this FAQ for the easier to read manual, and that's a good place to get your feet wet. This is the best way to start to 'get access to that system'.
Another point to be made is that regardless of what software you use (there is freeware out there, and I'll get to that in a moment), you need to understand how DMA works before you can make full use of the software. There's no easy answers out there for this...

Now let's get a bit more specific - precisely WHAT are you trying to hear? Where are you (county/state will do for now)? Go up to the blue toolbar on the left under the site title and float your mouse over Database Use the various pulldowns to get to your area. If you select your area by county, the trunk systems that cover that county are usually linked at the bottom. The 346XT will not handle any digital systems, but is otherwise a good analog handheld.

Now let's talk about connecting your PC and scanner - you will need a USB-serial converter, as most PCs don't have serial ports anymore. This wiki article talks about this subject in detail. Note that you don't necessarily have to use Uniden's USB-1 - there are many COTS (common off the shelf) ones that are known to work...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Finally for the software - FreeScan is freeware and a very good place to start, as we also have the user manual for it in our wiki...

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

and you can download it from here...

Downloads - Sixspot Software

Let's talk data for a moment. FreeScan can import data from the Uniden UASD or Butel programs, so going to your state's forum and asking for a file is one way to get started. Another (a bit more challenging for someone who is new) would be to purchase a premium subscription - FreeScan will be able to download data from our database once you have this...

Premium Subscription Information Page

That should be enough for now. I would start by reading - and perhaps using a spreadsheet to help set up what you want to hear.

Keep asking questions - that's what we're here for....best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.