Totally New - Scanner Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkimrey

HI.

I haven't used a scanner in a very long time and it seems like the technology has changed since then.

I'm looking for a good scanner that would work in the Triad (Guilford, Randolph, Alamance, Chatham, etc) - any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

Thanks

I'm looking for a good scanner that would work in the Triad (Guilford, Randolph, Alamance, Chatham, etc) - any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

Here is a listing to Uniden scanners currently available.

Scanners

I recommend a Phase 2 scanner which is current technology.

The agencies you want to listen to will dictate which scanner will work.

It would help if you post a link to your area.

Database

Good luck!

scannerpro

The counties you listed the majority of them are on the "VIPER" system.
This is a good starter scanner if your interested. WS1040 - Scratch & Dent ($140)

The WIN500 software is very easy to use, plus I believe you get 30 days free to use it before you buy the software license.

jkimrey

Here is a listing to Uniden scanners currently available.

Scanners

I recommend a Phase 2 scanner which is current technology.

The agencies you want to listen to will dictate which scanner will work.

It would help if you post a link to your area.

Database

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply. Most use would be scanning here and here.

The counties you listed the majority of them are on the "VIPER" system.
This is a good starter scanner if your interested. WS1040 - Scratch & Dent ($140)

The WIN500 software is very easy to use, plus I believe you get 30 days free to use it before you buy the software license.

That definitely looks like a good price - I assume stepping up to a Phase II (as mentioned above) would significantly increase the price?

Thanks.

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
To hear Greenboro Guilford Burlington system the Whistlers are deaf on simulcast systems

I assume stepping up to a Phase II (as mentioned above) would significantly increase the price?
Unfortunately, yes. Like anything, the more current technology you buy will generally cost you more.

Due to the simulcast issues mentioned above, you may want to just save up for the Uniden SDS model scanners, which are the only scanners specifically designed to eliminate Simulcast Distortion.

lu81fitter

I have never used any Whistler products (WS 1040) so I can't attest to their quality/performance, although there are many happy owners out there. I can attest to The Uniden BCD996P2. It is a rock solid unit. Phase 1 & 2 compatible, with other upgrades available. I use this radio with Proscan to program it. The 996P2 can be had for around $350 and you can try Proscan for free for 30 days. I believe Proscan price is $50 if you decide to buy it. It also has a hand held counterpart, the BCD325P2. I think that will be next on my list.

Edit: I failed to realize that some of what you want to monitor was simulcast. The 996P2 may have difficulties with that depending on your location. doctordialtone is correct. The SDS100/200 is your best choice for that.

I can attest to The Uniden BCD996P2. It is a rock solid unit. Phase 1 & 2 compatible, with other upgrades available. It also has a hand held counterpart, the BCD325P2. I think that will be next on my list.
I own both and they work great!

(I don't have simulcast issues in my area.)

Status
Not open for further replies.