Touch Tones on Delaware Co.Fire 154.190

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

I have been hearing what sounds like a touch tone pad being pushed before a call goes out on 154.190 for Delaware County Fire.Does anyone have any ideas on what this is and are you hearing it?Thursday 1-19-2012 08:52AM

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Do you hear 5 presses? Or any other number that's the same every time?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
If you can say it's 5 tones, I can answer that for you right now. If you don't know how many, you might listen to the next call and write down. That'll help answer too.

W9NES

bamx2,Thank you.I am hearing touch tones,Sounds like someone is using a touch tone phone key pad before the fire dispatch call goes out.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
I'm curious as to what you believe it is rdale. In Iroquois County, Illinois, that's how they 'bring up' their remote towers to set off pager tones closest to the responding department.

jackj

No reason why Touch Tone tones couldn't be used to control devices. I'm surprised that they aren't used more often. I built our club's 1st 2 meter repeater and, since almost all 2 meter transceivers had TT pads on their mics, I used a TT decoder to remotely control/program the repeater. The decoder chip was available at Radio Shack and took a minimum amount of parts to get working.

W9NES

I was told this is a new system that Delaware County is using.The Touch tones I am hearing are control signals going out to the stations to open doors on the station for the emergency units can respond with a quicker responce time.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
TT is used all the time in the Fire service, from Whelen's siren controller, Motorola's 2+2 siren tone signaling from the 60's still being used today (think Emergency!) , ambulances calling to hospitals, to Federal Signals Knox box. BTW Federals Knox box uses non-standard DTMF as does Motorola which is not the same as a telephone. I am not sure about Whelen's tones.

bamx2

I was told this is a new system that Delaware County is using.The Touch tones I am hearing are control signals going out to the stations to open doors on the station for the emergency units can respond with a quicker responce time.

What stations are you hearing this with? I've only ever hear it with Eaton. It wouldn't make sense to do that with volunteers, the doors would shut before anyone got to station. Are you hearing it with the Muncie city trucks? (ie. 1 rescue 2 pump ect)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

W9NES

bamx 2, thanks for your post. To answer your question I only hear it when Delaware County/Muncie Fire Dispatch before a call is dispatched out on 154.190 I do not hear it from any of the emergency gear that is responding on the 154.190 Countywide repeater.I do not hear it all the time. I hear it one time and then the next dispatch that goes out there is no touch tone key pad. Sounds like a auto-dialer like someone is calling a pre-programed number in a memory bank Any ideas????

bamx2

My question is what stations have it. Is it every tone or just certian stations? Del cc dispatches by name, Eaton Salem Gaston Yorktown ect. Which one of those stations? Do you hear it at the 7pm test? Until I get my new antenna in the attic I don't hear Delco anymore.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

W9NES

bamx 2, I only hear it on dispatch only.I am aware of Delaware County dispatching by name, I do nott hear at it at the 7AM morning test or the 7PM Test.They only use it before a dispatch goes out.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
He is asking if you hear them put the tones for every dispatch for every station, or just for some of the stations. It is not calling a phone number.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
You couldn't script this any better than how it goes in real life...

BIGTEXT

Premium Subscriber
I can never tell if he is somehow hard of hearing (hard of reading?) or just a professional troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.