• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Tourist to Manhattan - with an SDS100 looking for programming Files.

Moosemedic

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I'll be spending my Memorial Day weekend in NYC.
I'd like to scan FDNY, and have a particular interest in the EMS communications while there.

I've looked at your Freq Database here on RR.
Does anyone have a file for the SDS100 they could share that would make this easier for me?

edisonfire

Premium Subscriber
FDNY Fire is pretty busy, with each borough having their own frequency. I don't usually monitor EMS but I thought most of their dispatches were via KDT/MDT but it's been so long since I listened to EMS that I could be wrong. I'm sure someone more up to date will chime in. The fire frequencies are busy enough you might want to exclude Staten Island unless it's a dry, windy day and they get large brush fires. NYPD SOD frequency will usually keep you updated on anything major in the entire city, ala the helicopter crash into the river yesterday. Perhaps drop a few NYPD precinct frequencies that are in areas you'll visit. EMS used to use a Citywide frequency which carried all major incidents, similar to FDNY Citywide and NYPD SOD. The NYPD SOD also carries a lot of mundane traffic also though.

Moosemedic

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone...Thank you for all the input. Just to see what was out there, I downloaded the Sentinel software and even updated the database. When I surfed around a bit at what was there to be programmed in, it didn't seem complete ..... It just didn't seem to be consistent with what's publised here on RR. I thought that the database used by Uniden for the Sentinel software was drawn from talk-group submissions on RR?

Moosemedic

Premium Subscriber
FDNY Manhattan Dispatch on UHF 482.10625 Pl 146.2
FDNY Fireground on 486.1125 but you will need to be very close to the scene.

Also fireground talkgroups for major fire on this trunked system will be enough to keep your scanner busy. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5647
I was wondering about those bands as well. I had seen them while researchign my trip. Is most traffic moving toward that? Or are they still operating on the 480 Mhz spectrum?