Tourist to Manhattan - with an SDS100 looking for programming Files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosemedic

Greetings,

I'll be spending my Memorial Day weekend in NYC.
I'd like to scan FDNY, and have a particular interest in the EMS communications while there.

I've looked at your Freq Database here on RR.
Does anyone have a file for the SDS100 they could share that would make this easier for me?

ansky

Can't you just create a favorites list with the FDNY and EMS frequencies? Using Sentinel this would take you about 2 minutes at most.

edisonfire

FDNY Fire is pretty busy, with each borough having their own frequency. I don't usually monitor EMS but I thought most of their dispatches were via KDT/MDT but it's been so long since I listened to EMS that I could be wrong. I'm sure someone more up to date will chime in. The fire frequencies are busy enough you might want to exclude Staten Island unless it's a dry, windy day and they get large brush fires. NYPD SOD frequency will usually keep you updated on anything major in the entire city, ala the helicopter crash into the river yesterday. Perhaps drop a few NYPD precinct frequencies that are in areas you'll visit. EMS used to use a Citywide frequency which carried all major incidents, similar to FDNY Citywide and NYPD SOD. The NYPD SOD also carries a lot of mundane traffic also though.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
FDNY Manhattan Dispatch on UHF 482.10625 Pl 146.2
FDNY Fireground on 486.1125 but you will need to be very close to the scene.

Also fireground talkgroups for major fire on this trunked system will be enough to keep your scanner busy. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5647

Moosemedic

Hi everyone...Thank you for all the input. Just to see what was out there, I downloaded the Sentinel software and even updated the database. When I surfed around a bit at what was there to be programmed in, it didn't seem complete ..... It just didn't seem to be consistent with what's publised here on RR. I thought that the database used by Uniden for the Sentinel software was drawn from talk-group submissions on RR?

Moosemedic

FDNY Manhattan Dispatch on UHF 482.10625 Pl 146.2
FDNY Fireground on 486.1125 but you will need to be very close to the scene.

Also fireground talkgroups for major fire on this trunked system will be enough to keep your scanner busy. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5647
I was wondering about those bands as well. I had seen them while researchign my trip. Is most traffic moving toward that? Or are they still operating on the 480 Mhz spectrum?

ten13

Premium Subscriber
If you're going to walk around Manhattan with a radio, two suggestions:

1) Carry it in a pocket with earphones, otherwise the new and younger cops in NYC (especially those with letters on their collars) will start asking you questions about it if they hear it, thinking that they are on the cusp of a big "terrorism" arrest (and if they should call for a sergeant while talking to you, consider your touring of Manhattan over for the day).

2) By no means, if you should stumble upon some type of incident (no matter how big or trivial), have the radio out with a loud volume. That will attract, not only police scrutiny (justified or not), but also questions from the people around you gawking at the same incident....not to mention one of the "gawkers" deciding that stealing your radio may be a good idea, too.

If either of those things happen, you'll be sorry you brought the radio with you.

In any event, the NYPD radio traffic, unlike any PD anywhere else, and especially in Manhattan, is continually talking and unless you have some long-term experience with the NYPD you'll have difficulty following the radio activity anyway.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
I know a lot of NYPD Officers that feel it is illegal on foot, as far as mobile the VTL sect 397 makes it illegal as a misdemeanor.

There was a NYS high court decision not too long ago...within a year or so, maybe?.....which ruled, in a motor vehicle case, that mere POSSESSION of a police radio in a car is an "unclassified misdemeanor." And, if my memory of the NYS VTL serves me, I believe the wording is, "....a radio CAPABLE of receiving..." police broadcasts, which would be, more or less, any scanner you have in the car, even if it's in the trunk of the car in a suitcase.

The topic of a cell phone app was also brought up in the case...by one of the judges, no less...but was immediately dropped, apparently fearing opening up yet another can of worms on the issue, and giving the police little guidance on how to handle it.

The court case was discussed on this board in detail when it came out, so researching it could be done if you have the ambition to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.