Tow-truckers nabbed with police radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Tow operators give scanning a bad name in yet another country.

Maybe we should ban tow trucks.

N

nec208

I would not take any scanner to Africa or Asia. It is best to read the laws on scanners before taking one to that country.

If scanners are illegal it is best the tow trucks or news media do not have any scanners.Some cities in Canada the police will call the tow truck and others just hear it and drive to the MVC.Some times in Toronto you get a 3 car MCV and get 8 tow trucks!!

Some times PRP will say on the radio no more tow trucks to xxxx.Some times you hear police say I will take the first tow trucks to xxxx.

af5rn

nec208 said:
Some cities in Canada the police will call the tow truck and others just hear it and drive to the MVC.Some times in Toronto you get a 3 car MCV and get 8 tow trucks!!
Sounds like Houston/Harris County, Texas. The tow trucks (always more than one) usually beat all emergency vehicles to the scene. Of course, it begs the question, if there was a profit in it for them, maybe we could get a faster response out of the police and fire departments there. Food for thought.

Some times PRP will say on the radio no more tow trucks to xxxx.
I'm betting no more than two people on this forum have any idea what a PRP is.

N

nec208

Peel Regional Police ( PRP)

www.peelpolice.on.ca
The Peel Regional Police (PRP) provides police services for Peel Region in Ontario, Canada. As of 2005, it is the second largest municipal police service in Ontario after the Toronto Police Service and third largest in Canada with 1,700 uniformed members and close to 600 support staff.

The Peel Region Police serve the approximately 1,000,000 citizens of Mississauga and Brampton, located immediately west of Toronto, and the Pearson International Airport which annually sees 26 million travellers. Although it is part of the Region of Peel, policing for the Town of Caledon, which is north of Brampton, is the responsibility of the Ontario Provincial Police. The village of Snelgrove was once part of Caledon, but is now within Brampton, and is within the jurisdiction of the Peel force. Policing of 400-series highways that pass through the Region, including King's Highways 407 ETR, 403, and 410, is the responsibility of the OPP, while the PRP patrol the section of Highway 409 leading to the airport

Peel Regional Police was established in tandem with the creation of the Regional Municipality of Peel on January 1st, 1974. It incorporated the former police departments of Mississauga, Port Credit, Streetsville, Brampton, and Chinguacousy.

Peel Regional Police car
http://policecanada.policecanada.org/Canada/Ontario/OntarioP/PeelRegionalON065_GD.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel_Regional_Police

N

nec208

Sounds like Houston/Harris County, Texas. The tow trucks (always more than one) usually beat all emergency vehicles to the scene. Of course, it begs the question, if there was a profit in it for them, maybe we could get a faster response out of the police and fire departments there. Food for thought
If Peel Police are busy on calls it may take them 5 or 6 minutes to go to a robbery or domestic.The fire here normally get to a call with a 3 minute driving time and 4 or 5 minute for the back up trucks from the other stations..

scanfan03

I hope those scumbag cops in Africa never need a friendly wrecker. Police are nice to you when they need something in the business, but they sure as heck won't help you out at all.

boyledad

That is a rare situation in the U.S.

In most parts of the country the police call for tow companies that they have contracts with, either exclusive or rotation list. In Oklahoma, responding without being called by the police or the vehicle's owner is a prosecutable crime AND action can be taken against our license.

We have scanners so we know what's going on and can be prepared. You don't walk into the steak house or get in the shower if one of your served departments is working a wreck.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What does it have to do with South Africa and who gives a crap anyway? If you knew anything about conditions there it would be just another yawn.

Wilrobnson

scanfan03 said:
I hope those scumbag cops in Africa never need a friendly wrecker. Police are nice to you when they need something in the business, but they sure as heck won't help you out at all.
As a street cop, I never met a 'friendly wrecker'. They were all rude, unhelpful as all get out, self-centered, and more often than not, dirtbags themselves. We nailed a whole company (a whopping 4 trucks and a mobile home "office") for running meth, and I've arrested 2 personally for DUI when they showed up at accident scenes. If these guys in South Africa were running around with an illegal device (scanners are apparently illegal there), and caught, sucks for them.

boyledad

I guess it depends on where you are...

I know of one driver who was dealing drugs. His company cut him loose quickly. Show up drunk once and you're history. My company has a good reputation with all the law enforcement agencies in the area as do most other companies. We also stop and check on the competition when a driver is working alone. Most of them will stop and check on us. We give calls away if traffic is blocked and we don't have a truck available. My son works for a competing company and no one has a cow over it.

Maybe I'm just naive from growing up in Oklahoma. I thought that was how you are supposed to do business.

Status
Not open for further replies.