Tower down [2] days I'm surpised that

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarrySC

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned tower 35-Paris Mtn was off air. Gvl PD had to use SC TAC-3 for a while Monday PM. Everyone is depending on Tower 31-Simpsonville for coverage.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
This morning, the control channel for the former Simpsonville site #31, which was 868.8625, is now identifying as site #35 with an alias of GVL CO. I think this indicates that the Greenville County simulcast system is now operational, and that you're hearing a control channel on that frequency from multiple sites including Paris Mountain. There are voice comms on the old Site #35 control channel of 859.9625.

I will run Trunk88 on the site this evening and confirm that site #31 is no longer listed as a neighbor site for any adjacent sites, and then update the database accordingly.

LarrySC

I also noted that my PRO197 showed 35 rather than 31. I carefully worded my post to see what kind of replys I would get. My phone really rang off the hook for awhile. Some radios in the area were PGM'ed with Paris Mtn ONLY. All my programming usually has two or three towers per system/area. Just another day in the b1g city.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Yeah, those sites are at the edge of my monitoring range, so I don't listen to them often. Thanks for the prod, so to speak.

Can anyone determine if the Caesars Head site is now operating? I believe there are three sites intended to be part of the simulcast site, Paris Mtn, Simpsonville and Caesars Head. Others?

mlindler

Premium Subscriber
What does it take for people to realize that putting all our eggs in one basket is eventually going to lead to a communications disaster... (Easter spin)

I just hope when the glass of Pal 8 Kool Aid is passed around the upstate again not everyone takes a drink.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
What does it take for people to realize that putting all our eggs in one basket is eventually going to lead to a communications disaster... (Easter spin)

I just hope when the glass of Pal 8 Kool Aid is passed around the upstate again not everyone takes a drink.

I wouldn't consider Pal800 as one basket of eggs but many baskets just on the trunking level not to mention all the conventional repeaters across the state...

rescuecomm

Now, now Mike, let us remember how Hurricane Hugo changed SC's mind about communications and led us into this natiionally recognized achievement that has left us have nots standing in the rain.

Interesting enough, there was some consternation at one of the Pickens County rescue chief's meetings when one guy wanted to know if the others were paying for more than one Pal 800 radio. It seems his squad was getting billed for theirs versus the county paying for the other squad's units.

Basically, I can see how an agency that operates statewide would need the Pal800 coverage. For most everyone, it is a bit of overkill with the expensive digital radios and fees.

Question: I thought that our squad radio would have had the Pickens Glassy site and the Paris Mtn site loaded. Ours must have the Pickens and the Seneca site if the Paris site is a simulcast of Simpsonville?

Bob

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Note the updates to the database tonight re Site 35. It's 15 channels now, with three alternate CCs, combining frequencies from site 31 and 35. Site 31 is showing up on site 35's neighbor list with a CC of 868.2125 (which is a voice channel for site 35) and it indicates site 31 is in failsoft mode.

Okay, I'll play the devil in this discussion. There are some advantages to being part of Palmetto 800 beyond state-wide roaming: no need to maintain agency specific equipment and transmission sites, redundancy of multiple site coverage plus conventional repeater coverage, less reliance on agency- or county-employed radio techs, access to plentiful channels (assuming adequate system capacity), interoperability with other agencies (more and more all the time), including NC down the road.

The obvious drawback is the cost of equipment (radios, consoles, bridges, etc) and the monthly fees. Grants help with some of that. But when one considers the cost of maintaining individual systems with limited capacity and agencies facing significant investment to adhere to narrowband requirements soon, Palmetto 800 isn't a bad deal for quite a few agencies.

I certainly see both sides of the discussion. From a scanninst's point of view (and that's really what's important, right?) every agencies being on Palmetto 800 is ideal.

rescuecomm

Cities and counties with a large tax base can afford it. The rest of us have to live with narrow band and local repeaters. Most agencies have not cancelled their VHF/UHF licenses to free up spectrum as one would have expected. Maybe that will come later.

Bob

LarrySC

Fire depts with Volunteers are not expected to move to the Pal 800 because the firemem can't afford the cost of the radios. In the case of Greenville City they dont have any volunteers so with the help of grant $ they made the move. The state mandated that all agencys have 800 for inter-op but are not required to go full ops with it. Just keeps us busy keeping up. Different day, different issue.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
There's a new site online today in the Greenville area:

Site 31 CAESAR - Current CC is 868.8000, neighbors are 17, 19, 24, 35 and 50. Alt CC is 868.4625.

There currently no FCC licenses showing up in the RR database for that frequency (868.8000) in SC or NC.

Voice freqs so far: 854.4625, 867.2500.

Last edited:

LarrySC

Please dont post any more freqs. I cant catch up as it is. WILL IT EVER STOP. HaHa --- Well anyway thanks for keeping up. My phone hasent stop ringing. Had a guy banging on my door this morning at 8:AM and I'm holding breakfast in one hand coffee in the other. Hair not comed and in my PJ's. He may not own a phone but he's sure got scanners. The Caesars Head is really strong here. Thanks, Larry

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Too bad you just published your latest edition of the Upstate Scanner Directory (thanks, btw). It's more out-of-date more quickly this year.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Thanks Jeff, I figured it was something like that and have just been too busy/lazy to look at the FCC site. I don't think STAs make it into the RR FCC database portion. Thanks for the link.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
The new Caesar's Head Site #31 is still not broadcasting SCHP dispatch or Greenville Co talkgroups. The most active talkgroups are Medshore Ambulance Ch B, Cedar Mtn FD, and Palmetto Ambulance 53344. Some SCHP Tac channels show activity, as well as Spartanburg Air-Ground and SCHP Memo Units channel, but for the most part it's a quiet site so far. I did see some SC DPS 3 (SCHP Ch 40) activity today. I expect traffic will pick up on the site over time as more and more sites are reprogrammed to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.