Tower Help or suggestions?

dwelty

Premium Subscriber
I have a tower that I need to add 20 feet (maybe 30 feet) so I clear over some trees that are not mine.

I believe it is an American Tower, GCS series 5 step, 2-hole tower. The holes are 2 inches apart and the face is 12 inches from outside of pipe to outside of pipe. The pipe is 1.125 in diameter. The end of the tower section, bottom end is swaged out to fit over another section, the top end is just cut off, no swaging of any kind (see picture). I have 40 feet of very similar tower sections, except the 2 holes are 1.5 inch apart but the tower section will not fit onto the existing tower sections, and both ends are swaged (bottom swaged out, top swaged in)

I have reached out to American Tower but so far haven't received any feedback.

Thank you for any help on this!

Attachments

• IMG_1921a.JPG
    IMG_1921a.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 14

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I would approach this with caution.

Talking to the manufacturer would be necessary. The tower is likely designed to be self supporting to a certain height, and may require guying (or additional guying) if you add more sections.
I'd also be careful about the condition of the tower. Very common for these older ones to start corroding from the inside out, and adding more weight/wind load may end catastrophically.

If you can't get the manufacturer to assist you, then you may want to give some serious thought to going with a properly engineered NEW tower that's designed for what you need.
It's very likely that the tower manufacturer will not want to suggest any modifications based on the age of the tower, and not knowing if it was installed correctly.