Tower Install Questions......

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewAddict

I was at the right place, at the right time and aquired 50' of what appears to be steel TV antenna tower. I assume its steel because its rusting.. A wire wheel and some good paint and she'll be good as new.

I am very limited on space so I am looking for ideas on how to raise it up with only about 20' of clearance due to tree branches. It will disassemble into 10' sections but its quite heavy to "hoist" up. I can climb on my garage roof to mount at least the base section and one more making 20' but would like 30' then a mast. Any ideas?

Lastly, what size hole shall I dig for the base that I will buy. Its a standard size triangular tower and I will be hopefuully up abouit 30' before the mast. I have checked with my city building department and surprisingly tower are allowed....I say that because I live in a very strict city when it comes to homeowner regulations.

I have never put up a tower before and want to do it the right way for years of lasting service.

Thanks for looking.

Rob

Bucko

Those towers in deed are hard to come by and these days are very expensive to buy new. I use to install towers several years ago when I was in the repair business and used a Gin Pole ( made out of a 13' pipe with hooks and pulley ) after I put up the first 20', so if you can locate a Gin pole that would be the way to go. You can hoist up 30' in one piece if you have enough help but it sounds like you have a room problem. I always put the tower about 3' in the ground but seldom used concrete for it does speed up the rust process.

LordJ

I installed a 35' section myself...(got the tower used, bottom section was bent so I cut 1/3 of it off, hence the 35' approx height) I dug a hole where the unit was going to go about 2 1/2' ten positioned the baby in the hole as I pushed it towards the back of the garage, and anchored it to the fascia. I packed the hole tight with earth and stone. It's going nowhere..

DewAddict

Thanks for the ideas. I am planning to sink into the ground about 4' due to frost conditions here in michigan and pour cement in the hole to secure the base. I might be able to just put up 20' and see where I stand on room and go from there.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.