Tower Selection for novice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

osros

Hey All,

After years of Apt living with small antennas sticking out a window I finally moved to where I can now have a deticated radio shack and tower for antennas! :D.

Im not a Ham yet and putting up a tower is new to me but I really want to do it. My question is I have certain specs and need help with making the right selection.

Here goes:

I want a 30 - 40ft free standing tower that can withstand 80mph winds min. We recently had a storm come thru and thats what Im basing it on. I want this tower to be my first and hopfully my last that will satisfy my current and future needs. I have lightweight antennas right now, the AOR-7000 and Discones. I will be TXing on HF someday and may rotate.

What I got so far is the Universal Tower B18 but I dont know how wind load value relates to actucal MPH. Or how is it done?

Can anyone help me out with advice to help me make the right selection.

Thanks

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
You might look at the Rohn BX series towers. They are completely freestanding and are available in heights from 24 to 64 feet. The BX32 is 32 feet high and costs $392.00, according to this website

These towers are relatively inexpensive, and should work fine for scanner antennas.

RISC777

osros : There are a number of ways you can go about this.

Things to consider (at least what I would consider) -

Am I going to put more than one antenna now or later on it?
How tall do I want it to be?
Do I want one I do not have to guy, or... where will I run the guys?
Will I ever need to lower it to add, repair, etc. anything?
What will my wife or neighbors think, or what will the HOA say?
What's my budget?

And there may be more considerations I didn't hink of to list or that you or someone else thinks of.

osros

RISC777 said:
osros : There are a number of ways you can go about this.

Things to consider (at least what I would consider) -

Am I going to put more than one antenna now or later on it?
How tall do I want it to be?
Do I want one I do not have to guy, or... where will I run the guys?
Will I ever need to lower it to add, repair, etc. anything?
What will my wife or neighbors think, or what will the HOA say?
What's my budget?

And there may be more considerations I didn't hink of to list or that you or someone else thinks of.

I will have at least 3, one being the major RX & TX ant HAM HF type. and at least two lightweight RX only Ants.

Im hoping for 40 feet the more the better but cant afford to over do it.

I dont want to guy, but I will if I have to and I have nice heavy wood posts cemented into
the ground in all directions.

Yes I will want to make changes and Im sure I will have alot of trial and error. I want
the tower with base hinges.

Wife seems ok for now (maybe change when its up :) ), neighbors I dont care about, what is HOA? Cant think :)

Trying to keep it under $1000. $500 - 800 would be ideal.

MB

Feed Provider
Sounds like the same setup I want osros. I like the Rohn BX series towers - what do you think of them?. I wonder how you could install base hinges on this?

osros

MB said:
Sounds like the same setup I want osros. I like the Rohn BX series towers - what do you think of them?. I wonder how you could install base hinges on this?

Im new to towers so I dont know what to think about the BX series but the prices are reasonable. I know that the Universal Towers B-18 & B-22 series have base mount with hinges or should I say the tower legs get bolted to the base legs so if you take off one bolt and loosen the other two you can tip the tower down, do your thing and tip it back up again.

Al42

osros said:
I dont want to guy, but I will if I have to and I have nice heavy wood posts cemented into the ground in all directions.
Use real guy anchors and install them properly. Your wooden posts are sitting at the wrong angle to do very much good as guy anchors and wood has compression (push it together) strength, not tensile (pull it apart) strength.
Wife seems ok for now (maybe change when its up :) ), neighbors I dont care about, what is HOA? Cant think :)
Home Owners Association. If there is one.

RISC777

osros said:
I will have at least 3, one being the major RX & TX ant HAM HF type. and at least two lightweight RX only Ants.

Im hoping for 40 feet the more the better but cant afford to over do it.

I dont want to guy, but I will if I have to and I have nice heavy wood posts cemented into the ground in all directions.

Yes I will want to make changes and Im sure I will have alot of trial and error. I want
the tower with base hinges.

Trying to keep it under $1000. $500 - 800 would be ideal.
40 feet, especially higher, you will want to guy it. I promise.

Hinged at that height, I don't know of any. There is someone here who is making one that hinges, you might want to search the threads and chat a bit with him. That's a possibility. He may also have started adding his project to the wiki.

Otherwise there are telescoping masts (using a tripod as a base). I've got one and am planning another. That might be an option for you. Thgis type solution would definitely fit your budget, and the ones I know of and use are by Radian Comm/Rohn.

Depending on the sizes/height of the three antennas you plan on putting up, you might also want an off-set type setup to attach a 'second' mast on the 'main' mast. Which is another thing I'm looking to do on the next one too.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi osros and all,

Before you even THINK of putting up a tower you must check the local ordinances to find out what is allowed and what isn't, there are ALWAYS restrictions of one sort of another unless you live in that little house on the prarie. In any case you'll need a construction permit so a visit to City Hall and a chat with the building inspector is in order. Regardless of other requirements in no case should it's total height or placement allow any part of the structure to cross the property line or contact electric utilities should it fall.

All you'll get here are opinions so do your homework and make your decision based on your requirements. If you ask such broad questions about antennas and radios you'll get the same opinions and the same answer from me. After you have done your homework you'll perhaps have more specific questions about a particular product so we can give you more specific and informative answers.

Then comes the MOST important part of erecting a tower, SAFETY! That's when the study becomes intense, you'll need plenty of help and we can't give it to you so before you even dig the hole for the concrete footing contact your local Amateur Radio club.

osros

kb2vxa said:
Hi osros and all,

Before you even THINK of putting up a tower you must check the local ordinances to find out what is allowed and what isn't, there are ALWAYS restrictions of one sort of another unless you live in that little house on the prarie. In any case you'll need a construction permit so a visit to City Hall and a chat with the building inspector is in order. Regardless of other requirements in no case should it's total height or placement allow any part of the structure to cross the property line or contact electric utilities should it fall.

All you'll get here are opinions so do your homework and make your decision based on your requirements. If you ask such broad questions about antennas and radios you'll get the same opinions and the same answer from me. After you have done your homework you'll perhaps have more specific questions about a particular product so we can give you more specific and informative answers.

Then comes the MOST important part of erecting a tower, SAFETY! That's when the study becomes intense, you'll need plenty of help and we can't give it to you so before you even dig the hole for the concrete footing contact your local Amateur Radio club.

Thanks! very true! I already got the city info which is 50Feet and no permit needed. Im good on property line and no where near power lines (who whats that! :) ). Good tip on the local HAM club will do that. Just in planning stages getting alot of good info here as well as opening my eyes to a good mast option. All info I can get helps want my first tower to last me a long time or perhaps not need anything else for my present and future needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.