Tower sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamhere300

What about an area, or at least a WIKI, for tower sites? I am sure many would like to see at least representitive pictures of the towers and equipment that makes the systems they monitor tick.

I would be more than happy to help with it.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
That would seem to be something for the Wiki. The Wiki is membership driven and edited/updated by the membership. Sounds like you might want to communicate directly with the Wiki admins to see how they would envision it fitting in. My guess would be as something attached to the individual systems pages in the Wiki or in the case of Conventional, the county pages.

code3cowboy

That will pose a security risk when wiki pages about individual systems or individual sites get detailed. I have no qualms talking about systems I work with people I know or who have a need to know, but I dont want that information to be public, and I know I am not the only person who feels this way.

ibagli

That will pose a security risk when wiki pages about individual systems or individual sites get detailed. I have no qualms talking about systems I work with people I know or who have a need to know, but I dont want that information to be public, and I know I am not the only person who feels this way.

Then don't add anything to the wiki like that.

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
ack.

I think I am going to have a nervous break down .. there are antenna websites all over the freaking Internet. I think we should shut the Internet down due to security risks.

American Tower

:twisted:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
As suggested above, then don't supply the information; however, also don't remove information that someone else places there. BTW, did you notice that our database already has location information in it?

I think I am going to have a nervous break down ...
Okay crayon, we get the idea. :)

code3cowboy

Scratches head....Am I the only person who only works on two or three FCC systems and a ton of non FCC ones?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Scratches head....Am I the only person who only works on two or three FCC systems and a ton of non FCC ones?
You must be that guy. :lol:

Everyone else that actually works on systems that are of interest to the membership here work on those that are governed by FCC, and hence public by policy. The few Military or Federal systems of interest to the membership are pretty well laid out here in the DB. However, none of this location information has to do with the OP's request, which was about pictures of towers and equipment.

code3cowboy

You must be that guy. :lol:

Everyone else that actually works on systems that are of interest to the membership here work on those that are governed by FCC, and hence public by policy. The few Military or Federal systems of interest to the membership are pretty well laid out here in the DB. However, none of this location information has to do with the OP's request, which was about pictures of towers and equipment.

Ill just ensure the theta switch stays selected ;)

Posting pictures of towers/equipment gives those who wish to do naughty things an excellent starting point for figuring out what/how to disrupt systems or sites. I certainly do not want someone to be able to sit and look at where antennas sit, where feed line is exposed, how power gets into the buildings, the HVAC systems, visible security measures, and the like while contemplating how to screw with a site. If they have to make their way to a site and think about how they can fool around they will have to contend at least with the cameras and whomever is sent to say "hi".

It is on par with sitting under an approach path or adjacent to a runway and taking pictures of airliners. A decade ago you would have been waved at, today you are questioned.

iamhere300

I own towers - a fair number of them. I have learned that posting the information over the net is not that big a deal - as I have real security features in place in case people try to do bad things to nice places.

I was really thinking about generic photos for the Wiki anyways, but ....

In bygone days the key to the radio building was usually stashed in the tower light controller box on the tower.

iamhere300

In bygone days the key to the radio building was usually stashed in the tower light controller box on the tower.

Those were the days. Now we have IP cameras, deer cams, Cellular alarms, Motion lights, good relations with neighbors, and more.

I even know one company that keeps the old microwave lines pressurized, and monitors that - so they know if someone cuts into the waveguide to steal the copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.