Toying with an idea of selling SDS200 and going SDS100

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Am toying with this idea. Have always had handheld radios. The SDS200 is my 1st base station since the 80’s. If I do this, can sell my SDS200 and my 436. But have so questions to find out if this will work for me. Here goes.
1. Can the SDS100 do everything including reception that the SDS200 can do? At home, it will be hooked up to my outdoor discone Using proscan.
2. if I order a new SDS100, I want one that been built within the last cycle uniden built it. One of my main reasons for not buying one is the cold solder joint issue which I have read has been fixed on newer models. How can I insure I get a newer model and not some old stock?
3. when home, want to run 24/7. Any issues running 24/7?
4. Plan on using an external battery when on the road. I know it cannot record doing this. Any other issue using an external battery?
5. Is the battery swelling issue fixed yet?
Appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
Am toying with this idea. Have always had handheld radios. The SDS200 is my 1st base station since the 80’s. If I do this, can sell my SDS200 and my 436. But have so questions to find out if this will work for me. Here goes.
1. Can the SDS100 do everything including reception that the SDS200 can do? At home, it will be hooked up to my outdoor discone Using proscan.
2. if I order a new SDS100, I want one that been built within the last cycle uniden built it. One of my main reasons for not buying one is the cold solder joint issue which I have read has been fixed on newer models. How can I insure I get a newer model and not some old stock?
4. Plan on using an external battery when on the road. I know it cannot record doing this. Any other issue using an external battery?
Why not just hang onto the 200 and pick up a 100 as a companion? There’s nothing remotely crazy about having both. Plus, if one of them ends up going south on you temporarily, (hopefully it’ll only be temporary, if it happens at all)) you’ve got a back up to work with. On top of that, you won’t be taking the financial hit like you will if you flip it on the secondary market. And of course, there‘s this thing called REMORSE, which is something yours truly knows all to well about and would rather NOT see you go through. Lol! Undoubtedly, you’ll kick yourself in the behind if you ever do decide to acquire another 200, knowing full well what you’ve had to cough up as a result of purchasing the same thing TWICE. Good luck!

Last edited:

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
1. Yes. No difference.
2. Buy NEW from a reputable dealer like Scannermaster. I would find it odd if you manage to get ahold of "old stock" at this point as that issue has been rectified in new units for at least two years. If I recall this scanner was impossible to find new for months re: parts shortage.
3. Nope. Before I got my 200, my 100 was on USB power for days on end at home.
4. Who said you can't record while using external power? I do this often in my car.
5. All lithium batteries are subject to swelling. My oldest battery has gone through five cycles a week for the past four years. No issues other than expected drop in capacity.

It's a great scanner. Don't worry yourself out of it.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just for clarification, you can record when using external power (on the SDS100), provided that the battery is still in place. If you remove the battery, then recording is disabled.

You can, though, power the scanner externally using the USB-micro port instead of the USB-mini used for programming and power. As long as the battery is in place, powering through the micro port will allow recording, and will not attempt to charge the battery.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I would keep the 200 and acquire a 100. I have both and they compliment each other and on occasion one will pick up something the other misses.

Ubbe

SDS100 and SDS200 use the same receiver technology but as components are crammed together in a SDS100 it could have more interference issues.

If SDS100 are used with an external speaker, a standard passive one will be fine, the sound quality will improve a lot and as mentioned if powered from the micro USB connector it will not charge the battery while used at home. If you use the included BNC adapter you can easily connect to an external antenna at home and a roof antenna in the car and if you also get a better Remtronix BNC antenna you'll never need to fiddle with the adapter and can leave it on permanently.

My MD380 DMR radio swelled its battery yesterday and the charger where modified to keep it a 1/4 charge. And a Samsung phone swelled its battery a while ago. So its something that could happen to anyone and Uniden got those weak battery clips that breaks if a battery swells and the battery itself are held together with electrical tape to allow it to swell unrestricted without exploding.

If you want a bigger display and easier management you can always use ProScan on a PC and control a SDS100 from its USB connector.

/Ubbe

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Sell? You don't sell scanners, you buy them.
Craziest thing I've seen today so far. ::)
Am surprised you’re allowed to buy anything with that worthless president you have up there. Seems he is taking away most of your rights up there. Anyways, I use what I buy. Don’t care to let anything collect dust sitting on a desk. I buy what I need.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Still on the fence. Currently looking to upgrade my lawn tractor to a more expensive 4 wheel drive sub tractor. Dam things are expensive.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Still on the fence. Currently looking to upgrade my lawn tractor to a more expensive 4 wheel drive sub tractor. Dam things are expensive.
Hope you don't get one with the bad solder gap on the circuit board. Buy it from a Dealer that allows a return for full refund just to be safe.