Toyota 4Runner Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryWilly

Took out stock radio, put in an Alpine CDA-9885 and a BCT-15 using the original bracket for the radio. It took for ever to figure out who to fit it just right (it is very sung in there) and minor modification had to be done to the mounting bracket. The antenna is the SCAN4 wire antenna that was cheap ($4) and doesn't do that bad of a job. Will eventually put an antenna on the outside, and mount my Yaesu FT-7800R in the vehicle when I find a place to mount the control head.

Attachments

• PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 4,224
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 4,842
  • PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 3,171

SCPD

QRT
Nice, I have a 98 T4R and had to Rack everything in, darn DinE radio would not fit in that same spot you have yours.

HarryWilly

MaxTracker said:
Nice, I have a 98 T4R and had to Rack everything in, darn DinE radio would not fit in that same spot you have yours.

DIN-E means you have the sleeve, like the BCT-15, but the BCT-15 also mounts using ISO-DIN (the specific arrangement of mounting holes). You can easily modify the bracket if there are any mount holes on the side, however, the issue I had with the 4Runner (and why I didn't put a transceiver there) is that you are very limited by depth. I guess I could do something like a Motorola Spectra there, but it requires making a custom bracket to hold just the control head

HarryWilly

CLTX11 said:
Looks good, I wish my "double din" would house my radio and scanner.

:(

May I recommend the Metra 99-9999 kit? It allows two ISO-DIN or similar units to be stacked in a Double DIN slot. I was about to use one, then it turned out I couldn't use one because it is for American cars with wider mounting frames (Does everything Japanese really have to be smaller?).

CLTX11

HarrisonRHW said:
May I recommend the Metra 99-9999 kit? It allows two ISO-DIN or similar units to be stacked in a Double DIN slot. I was about to use one, then it turned out I couldn't use one because it is for American cars with wider mounting frames (Does everything Japanese really have to be smaller?).

It is a 98 Chevy Silverado, I have a pioneer radio in it now. I have not seen a ISO-DIN bracket for my truck.

I took out the CD player and it is empty there, I was thinking about throwing in a small CB, would fit I think, I am not very good with crap like that.

I used to have pics on the forums when I asked about it, no telling where those are now.

EDIT: I found the thread I was asking questions about this topic. My Din is only a 1.5 inch and not a 2, so I would not be able to do it.

Last edited:
I know what you're talking about on the Chevy. My 96 GMC is the same way, I just haven't bothered with taking the stock radio out yet, not completely sure if i'm gonna keep the truck yet or not. might trade it in on a full size 4x4 but might still keep it around and get a smaller 4x4. We'll see. If I keep the truck I'll let you know how i rig things up in the GMC if you're still looking for ideas.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
GM sucks for using the 1.5din, there are almost no aftermarket radios that use the full size, wish they went the jap route and went to double-din if they could not stick to single din.

I say that as the owner of a 94 caprice and 02 gmc who wishes there was more flexibility :D

CLTX11

brutalpilot514 said:
I know what you're talking about on the Chevy. My 96 GMC is the same way, I just haven't bothered with taking the stock radio out yet, not completely sure if i'm gonna keep the truck yet or not. might trade it in on a full size 4x4 but might still keep it around and get a smaller 4x4. We'll see. If I keep the truck I'll let you know how i rig things up in the GMC if you're still looking for ideas.

PM sent, do not wanna hi-jack the OP's thread.

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
N467RX said:
Is that one of the older 4Runners (pre-2002 or so)?
I was wondering that myself. It looks almost exactly the same as mine and my 4Runner is a 2000. I know what you mean by snug fit!
I put mine in about 3 years ago:
img0010uy6.jpg
img0015ns1.jpg

img0019hf0.jpg

Sjinndoawi

Nice

I had my install but I had to take it out because it is Illegal in Florida..Its time to move..Been here 6 years and still dont like it

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sjinndoawi said:
I had my install but I had to take it out because it is Illegal in Florida..Its time to move..Been here 6 years and still dont like it

Getting your ham ticket helps.

SCPD

QRT
Tim, you have the exact same console and dash as I have, Mine is a 98 T4R, with a Clarion in the dash. I have a Pro-433 that I tried to put in the opening below the stereo but it wont fit. Did you have to pull everything off to do your install? also, is that "Gripper Mount" from Mount Guys.com? Below is my set-up, I want to change this due to passenger complaints about footspace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.