TPD and OHP Changing places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Last night had to make an emergency pet run to the animal care center on 41st. Got on I-44 @ 33rd W. Ave and immediately ran into one TPD unit parked sideways on the shoulder. Then another TPD unit, sideways again at the east end of the ARB @ Riverside. Another unit @ the Yale overpass. Then as I got off @ 41st, OHP rolls by southbound on Sheridan and another OHP unit has someone stopped further down 41st. On the way home it's the same story, OHP on the city streets and TPD on I-44 in several locations. I was thinking TPD was watching for someone but I never heard of anything on the main sides. Is this normal nighttime activity?

mfolta1

nope, standard op procedure, dui shifts ongoing. all over the place. ohp and tpd arent limited on where they can make stops in the city of tulsa. someone correct me but i think tpd doesnt park and do radar on the interstates, or isnt allowed to, but they can pull over moving violations, tag expired, def veh etc. ohp on the otherhand can enforce anywhere they want. hope your animal is doing better, ive made many trips to the aec on 41st over the years too...

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, she's doing fine. I have encountered TPD running radar on I-44 @ the east end of the ARB before, they like to sit on the slope between the Riverside exit and Peoria exit and catch you coming down the hill of the bridge.

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
I know Oklahoma City regularly runs radar on the interstates within Oklahoma City. They use marked units and the motorcycles. They also have members working on the COMIT team in the metro using unmarked units funded through the DA's office for drug interdiction.

By the way, just an interesting note, Oklahoma County SO 251 made what is believed to be the largest PCP bust ever the other night. Several jugs of a super pure grade of PCP the other night along I-35.

mfolta1

I know Oklahoma City regularly runs radar on the interstates within Oklahoma City. They use marked units and the motorcycles. They also have members working on the COMIT team in the metro using unmarked units funded through the DA's office for drug interdiction.

By the way, just an interesting note, Oklahoma County SO 251 made what is believed to be the largest PCP bust ever the other night. Several jugs of a super pure grade of PCP the other night along I-35.

excellent job on the bust!!! id love to have seen the suspects reaction!! i remember in my storm chasing days all the black unmarked crown vics on 35, i drove a black crown vic too so when i went by at 100 they stayed in the median. lucky me i guess!!

FireMedic712

nope, standard op procedure, dui shifts ongoing. all over the place. ohp and tpd arent limited on where they can make stops in the city of tulsa. someone correct me but i think tpd doesnt park and do radar on the interstates, or isnt allowed to, but they can pull over moving violations, tag expired, def veh etc. ohp on the otherhand can enforce anywhere they want. hope your animal is doing better, ive made many trips to the aec on 41st over the years too...

I've been stopped by a TPD motorcycle unit that was parked in the large median running radar near I-44 and sheridan :)

mfolta1

i found out that several times a year all agencies have special dui shifts and are permitted to work anywhere so thats probably the case. i think he said cross deputized or something like that.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber

Do you happen to know what ID these guys operate on and what system? I figure the State System but just don't know the ID.

Thanks

Sparky_one

simulcasting

Nope 460.350 for OCSO. They have an ID on the state system but its very rarely used.

OCSD is simulcasting most of the time on the state system and UHF repeaters. This is especially the case on Eastern Net, which encompasses the biggest jurisdictional area of the county. OCSD dispatches the smaller police departments of Choctaw, Nicoma Park, Harrah, Luther, Jones, and Bethany. They simulcast on the state 800 system in order to keep OHP in the loop of what is going on. They often backup each other for calls on I-40 in Eastern Ok County and sometimes on I-35 North of Wilshire. OCSD patrols US-66 along with Luther PD. Lately they have trained their efforts to I-40 near Choctaw Road but they have an ongoing project with Comit on I-35 near Frontier City.
I do think it will be a matter of time before all the departments that they serve will go with the 800. I saw an 800mhz antenna on a Jones unit the other day so they may be ramping up.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
That's ok, I run into a Police Systems Supplier that runs a radar unit on full bore every morning on his way to work. And I believe I have seen him activate red and blue's too.

mfolta1

Or maybe you are teetering on obtaining whacker status by bragging about a mode of transportation that allowed you to, allegedly and gregariously, exceed posted speed limits.
h

heh! im waaaay beyond whacker!!!! i still do a hundred in my chevy pick up i currently drive and they actually pull me over too! lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.