TPD goes digital, sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos703

TPD's conversion to digital will be complete by the end of 2006. Is this old news? I'm guessing it probably is, but I don't recall reading anything about it here.

Good thing is that the main dispatch TGs will remain analog so outside agencies can monitor. Car 2 car will be digital but not encrypted. And I can't recall if the tacticals will be encrypted. It seems like he (my secret inside source, a city radio tech) told me that the tacs would be encrypted, but I also remember him telling me that encryption was a big hassle and huge expense so not everyone will get it. And since everyone needs to have the ability to switch to a tac, maybe they will just be digital.

In any case, he's been very busy with the switch over for quite some time. So it should start happening soon.

peterjmag

Thanks for the info Chaos. I personally will wait until the change over occurs to even think about getting a digital radio. I would like to know who has a digital radio? I know Freqed and I think AD5PE Jay might have one. Anyone else? For those that do, could you guys please monitor for digital and report back any up comming changes? I just hope the tgs are not encrypted? Thanks...

P.J. Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.