SDS100/SDS200: TPD Pursuit and Patching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
About a week ago TPD was in pursuit of a stolen car. It eventually went onto I 44

What amazed me was that TPD resolutely requested that OHP be patched, several times,
and it was never accomplished.

I have a friend who was once a dispatcher for TPD and told me that patching
is quite easy, but for some reason they are hesitant to ever patch, which he himself
did not understand

You could tell the officers were very upset

Last edited by a moderator:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I have a friend who was once a dispatcher for TPD and told me that patching
is quite easy, but for some reason they are hesitant to ever patch, which he himself did not understand

You could tell the officers were very upset

Every time I get upset at what I hear on the air I have to forcibly remind myself that dispatchers here are poorly paid and poorly trained. Cities can't understand why they can't just outsource all this stuff to a call center and pay them minimum wage.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I know the individual who hires for the position (s)

She said the turnover is unbelievable

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I've often wondered about TPD and OHP patching and policies for it. TPD patches their divisions frequently. I've heard Tulsa SO patched as well before along with RMA 2B. However, I don't think I've ever heard OHP patched to a TPD TG.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I've heard TPD/OHP patches and I've heard rejections. I have also heard a TPD Officer (supervision) actually talk directly to OHP without going through dispatch. There are times when TPD is chasing someone and OHP is going to help and has to rely on their (OHP) dispatcher to tell him where to go, turn next rather than just patch into the ID so everyone can hear.

EdCompos

I have. They usually patch always when there is a pursuit if Applicable
Having worked at TPD for 35 years it all depends on what is going on at the time the patch is requested. Officers on all subfleets are advised of the pursuit and can switch their handheld over to the subfleet if need be. The 911 center is manned by highly trained dispatchers and do a excellent job for being under the stress they endure during a shift I was proud to have worked with them,,,,,,

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
About six months ago I called 911 after witnessing a severe traffic accident. I was on hold for 4 minutes

I would not consider that “a excellent job”

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I would not consider that “a excellent job”

Management failure. That might have been a once/year type event, but I would bet it wasn't. It could also be that management has pointed this out to the people that pay they bills and they've said "you're not getting any more money - be more efficient!" (because politicians like to say that).

If that is a regular "feature" of that comm center, then it's probably a spitty place to work and has a fairly high turnover rate ("We just don't understand - we pay them $9 an hour!") ...

We're a poor state and getting poorer ...

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I actually know the individual who screens applicants, and she said the turnover rate is unbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.