Tracking 7202 with SDRTrunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Has anyone been able to successfully setup the UCA 7202 system in SDRTrunk? If so, I would love to know how the system and channels were setup, as I cannot seem to get SDRTrunk to follow the system.

Thanks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
SDRTrunk does not track Motorola SmartZone systems, which is what the UCA is.

SDRTrunk can be setup to decode individual frequencies of a SmartZone system, but it will only decode the digital talkgroups and still wouldn't fully track the system. As 99% of the UCA talkgroups are analog, that won't do you any good.

You'll need to use software such as Unitrunker if you want to truck track that analog system.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
That makes sense, no wonder I was struggling so much with it! I'll give Unitrunker a try.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I have been very successful with Unitrunker. Except for a couple mistakes, on my part. I like that I can track three (or more) different systems, at the same time. Information overload.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
I have been very successful with Unitrunker. Except for a couple mistakes, on my part. I like that I can track three (or more) different systems, at the same time. Information overload.
That's awesome! I finally got UCA working in Unitrunker (it's been a long time since I've used a PC to monitor--last time was with the old TRUNK88 DOS program), so I'm just getting my bearings.

Are you using an RTL-SDR or other SDR with Unitrunker? How many "VCOs" did you set up? If I set up additional "voice" VCOs on my receiver, can I listen to multiple voice channels at the same time?

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
That's awesome! I finally got UCA working in Unitrunker (it's been a long time since I've used a PC to monitor--last time was with the old TRUNK88 DOS program), so I'm just getting my bearings.

Are you using an RTL-SDR or other SDR with Unitrunker? How many "VCOs" did you set up? If I set up additional "voice" VCOs on my receiver, can I listen to multiple voice channels at the same time?
I am using the PC/IF jack on 3 different radios (TRX-2, GRE500, PRO197) for the control data, into the computer, via USB connection. (did that make sense?) Unitrunker is set for "inline" decoding of traffic. I have other radios turned on to actually monitor what is being received. You will need a separate radio for each voice channel you want to listen to.
If you get an offer to start with someone else xml file, I recommend taking it. It will eliminate a lot of "green" entries, and give good indications as to what is out there.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
B Hall
Nice to see another acquaintance from the old group.
would you like a unitrunker.xml file to get you jump started?
You know, group IDs & such
Yes! That would be awesome! Great to see folks from the old 7202 Yahoo! Group! I have such fun memories of those days. Hope all is well.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
I am using the PC/IF jack on 3 different radios (TRX-2, GRE500, PRO197) for the control data, into the computer, via USB connection. (did that make sense?) Unitrunker is set for "inline" decoding of traffic. I have other radios turned on to actually monitor what is being received. You will need a separate radio for each voice channel you want to listen to.
If you get an offer to start with someone else xml file, I recommend taking it. It will eliminate a lot of "green" entries, and give good indications as to what is out there.
Awesome! Thanks for the additional info. Makes sense.

I downloaded the system info with all of the TGs from RR directly into Unitrunker, so that was nice to get all of the labels imported automatically.

I'm using only an RTL-SDR V3 dongle ($25), which is monitoring the control and voice channel--no scanners connected (see attached photo of dongle). It can even monitor multiple control ("signal VCOs") channels and multiple systems simultaneously. I'm still experimenting with adding multiple voice channels to see if it will allow me to follow more than one voice channel simultaneously.

I wish Unitrunker would let me manually select which voice channel is active, like TRUNK88 used to allow you to do. I know you can set priorities for the various TGs, but I'd like to be able to manually switch to an active voice channel on the fly. If there's a way to do that, please let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

• RTL-SDR V3.jpg
    RTL-SDR V3.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 2

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I forgot, we can download, again. Not sure what was done, but thank-you, to whomever fixed it.
Downloading will give you the Talk Groups, but not the user info, and I like to adjust the colors.
I have a couple of those dongles. One of these days, I'll have to take it out of the box. The rest, I do not know.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I just configured the RTL-SDR with multiple "voice" VCOs, and I can hear three simultaneous conversations! Although, it can get a little crazy! Here's how I set up the receiver in Unitrunker:
  • Signal VCO monitoring control channel (with "chase" setting enabled to follow freq changes)
  • Voice VCO monitoring a voice channel
Hearing three different conversations at a time is fun when things are slow, and can help you not miss stuff, but it can be a little hectic, so I may only use two voice VCOs. It's pretty incredible that a $25 USB dongle can handle all of the above.

My next step is to go through and edit priorities or "rankings" to cancel out the junk TGs that I don't want to hear, and give priority to the TGs that I do want to hear.

Here's a challenge that I've been struggling with that I could use some help on: I can't seem to get Unitrunker to display both the Tag and the Label. Even though in the options on the main screen under Tag, I select "Both" (Tag and Label), it only shows the Tag. Anyone know how to get it to actually show both?

Thanks!

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Not sure of technical terms, so I'm dumbing it for me. with cursor hovering over "tag", move mouse slowly to the right. Should see 2 vertical lines between arrows. Hold down left mouse button, and move cursor to the right. Release the button. You should see "label" appear. I hope this works.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Hmm...yeah, I've made the column as wide as it can get, but when I select "both", I only see the tag. When I select "label" I only see the label.

Premium Subscriber
I’ve got a pair of the RTL-SDR that I really haven’t spent much time with.
I’ll have to give Unitrunker a try.

Unitrunker2

I wish Unitrunker would let me manually select which voice channel is active, like TRUNK88 used to allow you to do. I know you can set priorities for the various TGs, but I'd like to be able to manually switch to an active voice channel on the fly. If there's a way to do that, please let me know.
I think there is a "skip" button on the VCO. It will jump to the next active call. You may need to click it a few times to hit the call you want.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
If you pull up the discriminator window or the receiver window in UT there are pause, skip, start, stop buttons. This is how I change freq's on the fly......FWIW

ranger2004

Yes! That would be awesome! Great to see folks from the old 7202 Yahoo! Group! I have such fun memories of those days. Hope all is well.

7202 group was a fun group to have dinner with and bring toys to show off. We should all get together go to dinner.
It would be interesting to see others uni files and compare. Maybe share them dropbox.

Brett

ranger2004

Wish there was away to share unitrunker on the web.
Pull from the log and use xml files to fill up the info.????

Status
Not open for further replies.