Tracon and artcc transmitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
Depending on the TRACON, it could have just 1 transmitter/receiver site, or many. For example, smaller TRACON's like Gulfport, MS have 1 site while N90 (New York TRACON) has many.

EMD91123

I remember that N90 has 4 transmitters up there in the NY/NJ/CT area. Where I used to live in NJ I used to pick up pilot/controller transmissions on 118.175(LIIBERTY TRANSMITTER SITE) which I believe is located at EWR. I have a pdf somewhere if I can find it I will post it up on here .

K4DHR

Atlanta (A80) TRACON has numerous transmitter sites around north Georgia, since they have consolidated both Macon and Columbus approach into the building. Even before that happened, they had at least 4 remote transmitters located around Atlanta simply because of the amount of airspace they cover and the number of frequencies they use for satellite airports.

rmiller818

Atlanta (A80) TRACON has numerous transmitter sites around north Georgia, since they have consolidated both Macon and Columbus approach into the building. Even before that happened, they had at least 4 remote transmitters located around Atlanta simply because of the amount of airspace they cover and the number of frequencies they use for satellite airports.

You wouldn't happen to know the locations of those would you?

captkel

I occasionally get up to the Woodstock, Ga. area, it's about 35 miles or so northwest of Atlanta, and have monitored a few ATL Center and approach control frequencies that come in loud and clear there with my hand held radio. Will get back to you with the info I had, however I read on the ATL ATC Monitor site that they have made some changes recently, something about a transmitter broke and they moved to a new RCAG.

K4DHR

You wouldn't happen to know the locations of those would you?

The transmitter for 128.0/121.0 is located at Dobbins ARB, over on the south side of the field not too far from where the ARSR is off of Windy Hill.

127.5 (TRACON during the daytime, reverts to the ARTCC at night) is located at AHN.

126.975/128.52 are at the radar site in the Lawrenceville area.

119.8/128.57 are located somewhere on the south side of town. I usually have to be around Union City/Fairburn area before I can hear anything on those frequencies. They may be on the roof of the TRACON itself.

Most, if not all, of the final approach and other departure frequencies are at the airport itself.

K4DHR

I occasionally get up to the Woodstock, Ga. area, it's about 35 miles or so northwest of Atlanta, and have monitored a few ATL Center and approach control frequencies that come in loud and clear there with my hand held radio. Will get back to you with the info I had, however I read on the ATL ATC Monitor site that they have made some changes recently, something about a transmitter broke and they moved to a new RCAG.

There is an RCAG at Mount Oglethorpe for Atlanta Center, I believe there are 3-4 frequencies there.

rmiller818

The transmitter for 128.0/121.0 is located at Dobbins ARB, over on the south side of the field not too far from where the ARSR is off of Windy Hill.

127.5 (TRACON during the daytime, reverts to the ARTCC at night) is located at AHN.

126.975/128.52 are at the radar site in the Lawrenceville area.

119.8/128.57 are located somewhere on the south side of town. I usually have to be around Union City/Fairburn area before I can hear anything on those frequencies. They may be on the roof of the TRACON itself.

Most, if not all, of the final approach and other departure frequencies are at the airport itself.

The site for 121.0 was the one I was most interested in as I hear it well. But it doesn't seem like it should be a dobbins, I was thinking it was north of there, like sweat mountain. They do have a second transmitted for it as I have heard them switch before.

K4DHR

The site for 121.0 was the one I was most interested in as I hear it well. But it doesn't seem like it should be a dobbins, I was thinking it was north of there, like sweat mountain. They do have a second transmitted for it as I have heard them switch before.

Both frequencies peg the S meter on my IC-208 in my car when driving past the main L-M gate on S Cobb Drive, so I've always assumed they are co-located there.

Looking at some aerial shots of Sweat Mountain, I don't see anything that resembles a remote transmitter site, but if it is just a back-up, it may only be a single antenna instead of the usual array.

There is a site on top of Blackjack Mountain a few miles away, which is host to the never (or very seldom) used 127.05 ARTCC frequency. It *may* be possible that the TRACON sites are up there, may be worth to drive on one of the streets near the top with a handheld with no antenna to see what the reception is like. I'd probably go exploring myself, but I moved to Memphis about 5 months ago.

kcoleman

Sorry to butt in on this thread....

.... but since you seem to be talking about various sites, do any of you know where 119.375 originates from. It seems that all the acft I hear on this freq are in close proximity to KATL. I've not had any success searching for this on the net. Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Keith

captkel

127.050 Black Jack Mountain 33°59'00.360"N 84°29'35.750"W good view in BING MAPS

121.350 / 133.100 / 134.800 Mount Oglethorpe 34°29'10.38"N 84°19'53.05"W good view in GOOGLE EARTH,

BING MAPS pictures wasn't too clear on this one. Also while I was up there I could receive ATL Approach on

128.000 / 121.000 and ATL Departure on 135.700. All of these came in loud & clear on the hand held radio from

Woodstock and Acworth . Some of these may have changed, that was close to a year ago. The remotes for the approach and

departure freqs. should be (I ASSUME) at one of the ATL CENTER RCAG sites.

Last edited:

EMD91123

I believe that one is out of Macon Geo. 119.375 covers 24000-34000 feet from a tad north of ATL southward to the Valdosta Georgia area. Very heavily used frequency for outbaounds out of ATL to Florida and the S. AM/CARIB./AND FLORIDA DESTINATIONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.