Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuzikan

I see ads for items for trade from time to time. Is there a safe way to do trading without getting scammed?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Ask to see as many pictures of their product as possible from every angle, powered on & working. Any time I sell an item I always do this & place it by an index card with my callsign on it (along with today's paper, ha just kidding). If trading by mail: request that they send their product to you first before you send yours. If trading in person, meet at a mutually accessible location (perhaps a busy parking lot) rather than either of your houses. Hope these tips help

Reconrider

I recommend doing everything @kuzikan said but if you are doing it via mail, use usps - if they scam you, it'll be a federal crime not state.
And make sure they send a photo of their driver license card. I've done this many of times and everything is removed afterwards. You can even go one up and make them send a selfie to verify it's there card versus what they sent you.

You should do the same. Also make sure you only send it to the address that is on there driver license card. Add tracking so you can track it, do not give them the tracking number.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Always buy/trade a seller not the item. Ask for a VOICE phone call to a verified carrier number. Avoid if they're using scam now aka text now or some app to mask their true carrier number. Ask for references if you can't see any verifiable trading history. If it FEELS fishy, RUN don't walk away.
On another site (QRZ) I ONLY do communication through site PMs, this knocks of 99 percent of scammers/flim-flammers but at the end of the day, one has to do all due diligence to protect themselves.

A FaceTime/Video call with the products in hand being demonstrated is also a great tool to not only ensure no one is disappointed, but no scammers ever want to show their face so if they decline, RUN far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.