Traffic Lightbars/Strobe Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

I would normally post this in the Mobile Setup Forum but previously the only people that seem to regularily surf those boards are ppl from the U.S. and i need someone with a little more knownledge pertaining to the GTA, so i am giving it a go in the Eastern Canada Forum, hope this doesnt piss any Mods off.

I guess this would be mostly directed to any tow truck drivers on the forum since they would be most familiar with this stuff, looking for a decently priced source for traffic lightbars and strobe kits, checked out some links on the net but the prices at some places seem crazy high compared to some of the gear i have seen on ebay.

Due to the current strength of the C$ i may consider ordering online from the states, but for now i would like to shoot local.

Any input is appreciated
Thanks

melbourne76

u can try this guy

i got a whelen CSP690 6 outlet strobe boxes. i got 2 set up for my truck for $500
that was a year ago so alot less now i say.
his email MrDissociative@gmail.com
tell him jim send ya from canada

If you want to stay local, try Star Warning Systems in Niagara Falls.
We have a fleet of vehicles equipped with LED traffic directors and so far they have been great.

Keganm

Premium Subscriber
If you want to stay local, try Star Warning Systems in Niagara Falls.
We have a fleet of vehicles equipped with LED traffic directors and so far they have been great.

Unless you plan on setting up an account and purchasing to outfit a fleet, going directly to Star will do you no good. They will just refer you to a local distributor.

OntFF221

Premium Subscriber
For one-offs, I've had good luck with Action Van and Truck - their prices aren't the best, but haven't been too far out of whack either, in my experience...

May want to check out AJ Stone, as well... http://www.ajstone.com

Last edited:

MetalCarnage

Thanks for all the help guys, makes it a lot easier to find these places when someone tells you about them, i think only one of the places mentioned i actually found via the internet, so its much appeciated.

Oh and as far as making them myself, two things A) If i was still in University i probably would for the fun of it, but unfortunatly i dont have that kind of time these days. B) Its for some small jobs at work , so i dont pay for the stuff, might as well buy it since i am expensing it anyways

Keganm

Premium Subscriber
You would have to check the provincial highway traffic act for your province. I know in Ontario, there was an amendment that was added to prohibit the use of these style horns in personal vehicles.

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8

Section 75 Subsection 6

Prohibition as to use of siren horn

(6) No vehicle other than an ambulance, fire or police department vehicle, public utility emergency vehicle or vehicle operated by the Ministry shall be equipped with a siren horn or a device producing a sound which so nearly resembles that produced by a siren horn as to deceive or confuse. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (6).

unlisted

You would have to check the provincial highway traffic act for your province. I know in Ontario, there was an amendment that was added to prohibit the use of these style horns in personal vehicles.

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8

Section 75 Subsection 6

Prohibition as to use of siren horn

(6) No vehicle other than an ambulance, fire or police department vehicle, public utility emergency vehicle or vehicle operated by the Ministry shall be equipped with a siren horn or a device producing a sound which so nearly resembles that produced by a siren horn as to deceive or confuse. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (6).

Uh, thats for Siren tones, or sounds close to a siren tone.. Not a normal electronic Airhorn sound...

At least, thats how I read it.. I am sure Police may have a different opinion..

Last edited:

Command30

Uh, thats for Siren tones, or sounds close to a siren tone.. Not a normal electronic Airhorn sound...

At least, that is how I read it.. I am sure Police may have a different opinion..

I agree with the above poster. The difference between a "flat" airhorn tone and a siren tone is notable, in theory, but the HTA can always be left open to interpretation.

Other provinces have regulations that state your vehicle cannot be equipped with a device that emits overly harsh or loud tones. That would cover airhorns, trainhorns, bullhorns, mothers in law, etc.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The original poster got his answer and the followup question is a dupe of another thread which was closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.