Train Derailment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warbirdhunter

I am hearing bits and prices of this..A while ago they said an "unknown substance" was spilled and they where backing out of the area? Do believe CSP has their HAZMAT on the way

rckydenver

I am hearing bits and prices of this..A while ago they said an "unknown substance" was spilled and they where backing out of the area? Do believe CSP has their HAZMAT on the way
Yeah, Hazmat being sent out, setting up a Command Post, and a media staging area. Just heard on Coal Creek FD that the Hwy maybe closed overnight, (I presume Hwy 93).

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
12 car coal train derailment in Colorado Springs last night. Have to wonder if the cold is warping the tracks.

12 car coal train derailment in Colorado Springs last night. Have to wonder if the cold is warping the tracks.

Most likely the widespread cold is causing a broken rail. We had a UP train on the ground here last night due to broken rail.

Warpage a.k.a. "sun kinks" is most commonly found across the southern and southwest US during the summer, created by the rapid heating then rapid cooling of the rail.

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Rich,

FWIW - I don't know how familiar you are with that section of the line (Moffat Tunnel is further up the "hill"), but its really the last steep slope before they hit the plains. It winds its way back and forth before exiting the foothills right where the accident happened. I think they have had other derailments there recently (Jim would know). Having said that, would it most likely be the difficulty of the descent that plays a factor?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Rich,

FWIW - I don't know how familiar you are with that section of the line (Moffat Tunnel is further up the "hill"), but its really the last steep slope before they hit the plains. It winds its way back and forth before exiting the foothills right where the accident happened. I think they have had other derailments there recently (Jim would know). Having said that, would it most likely be the difficulty of the descent that plays a factor?

But it was westbound.. Headed from Denver to SLC.

Jim<

I doubt the curvature or grade would have a lot to do with broken rails. It depends mainly on age and condition of the rail, but relatively new rail can break as well.

I am familiar with that section of UP. When I come up to visit family, I make a run towards Eldorado Canyon for some railfanning. My brother is a Conductor for the UP and makes a few runs up and down the canyon himself.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I have to ask a quick question about the age of rail. How much of it is still form the 1800's? While I was a welder we had a 2' section used for a weight. It was stamped with the year 1800 something I do believe.

I have to ask a quick question about the age of rail. How much of it is still form the 1800's? While I was a welder we had a 2' section used for a weight. It was stamped with the year 1800 something I do believe.

I haven't seen any 1800's era, but there is a stub track BNSF has near Gretna that is dated 1929, but has been abandoned since that business we served went under.

Status
Not open for further replies.