train incident in Jackson County

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

A train has derailed, the engine and on other car are on their sides. A semi is involved, in an unknown way.

I have not heard where the exact location is, but there is a lot of EMS traffic on MPSCS TG 2589 (HVA D6, which they are calling "Ops 1")

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
The train was Amtrak 351 returning to Chicago from Pontiac. The driver of the semi disregarding the automated crossing protection and was struck at a crossing in Jackson on Norfolk Southern's Michigan Line (160.8000 - AAR 46/46). At this point in it's journey the train would have been doing anywhere from 25-79mph depending on whether he was approaching or just departed Jackson station.

The lack of major injuries and fatalities is mostly attributable to the light ridership 351 normally has in that section.

Undoubtedly the NTSB and FRA will be enroute to the scene, and the event recorder and console camera will be downloaded.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I was heading into a diner, after getting off shift at 8am, and the excited comms caught my ear. I glanced down, noting the "HVA D6" and wondered what was going on, since that TG is rarely used.

When I really started listening, I could hear the routing of various EMS units, to make sure enough resources were enroute. One of the early reports, from the scene, stated that the engine and one other car were on their sides, and the other cars were off the tracks, but were still upright.

Not something you hear every day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.