Tram 1094 vs Mobile Traintenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamT

Hello,

For the past few weeks, I've been using my scanner setup to monitor a railroad frequency approximately 30 miles away. I can usually pick it up, however the signal is very weak, so I rarely can make it out.

I am currently using a Tram 1094 antenna and a BC125AT scanner. I'm considering upgrading to a Mobile Traintenna (Link: TrainTenna 5/8 Wave Mobile Antenna)

The stats look better for sure, but does someone more experienced than me actually know if this would create a noticeable improvement?

Thanks,
Adam

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
The stats look better for sure, but does someone more experienced than me actually know if this would create a noticeable improvement?

Anytime you switch to a tuned, high-gain, band specific antenna you'll see improvement. Especially over the Tram you currently use. To what degree depends on the terrain where you live, the sensitivity of your receiver, etc. DPD Productions uses quality materials to make their 5/8th Wave Traintenna, so it's a good investment that you will see results from.

Swipesy

I have used the DPD Productions 5/8 Traintenna for years and on a BC125AT radio. It is very good and so is quality. The only negative is its size. I have to take it off my vehicle to get into the garage. I can't discern though if it is any better than my Larsen Triband which I don't have to take off vehicle.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I have used the DPD Productions 5/8 Traintenna for years and on a BC125AT radio. It is very good and so is quality. The only negative is its size. I have to take it off my vehicle to get into the garage. I can't discern though if it is any better than my Larsen Triband which I don't have to take off vehicle.

It is a 49" tall antenna, but that's because it is a 5/8th wave VHF antenna. That is something for new users to consider.

I use a DPD Traintenna on an NMO roof mount with a Motorola XTL5000 (110w) in my personal vehicle. Also being a user of the Larsen tribander on my scanners in the vehicle, I definitely see a difference with the antenna barefoot (no filter or pre-amp), but I'm not surprised being it's tuned and band specific. I normally utilize it with a bandpass filter and a pre-amp to even further improve performance. Again, anytime you use a mono-band, tuned, high-gain you will see improvement of some kind.

It's a solid investment. Also, the owner of DPD Productions who makes/sells the Traintenna series is a member of these forums, so I'm sure he'll jump in.

AdamT

Thanks for your replies.

Would anyone know if there’s a significant difference between the mobile antenna and the indoor antenna they offer? I’d like a home antenna, but I would be fine using the mobile one at home as well - unless there’s a large difference in the strength.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I actually own both of the antennas that you posted in your first question. I bought the Tram antenna to keep on a work vehicle I used to drive, the areas I used to go in weren't always the best so I didn't want to put an expensive antenna up there, and the vehicle wasn't mine so I couldn't drill a hole. I still have the antenna and I've actually been quite impressed with its performance, and it has held up quite well over the years, especially considering the price. The Traintenna is probably somewhat better, but not by much, it certainly is NOT going to be a big difference. One advantage the the tram has is it is MUCH better at picking up EOT and DPU frequencies where the Traintenna is not, so that is something to keep in mind.

There is nothing special about the Traintenna, it is just a 5/8 wave cut for the railband, nothing more.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
One advantage the the tram has is it is MUCH better at picking up EOT and DPU frequencies where the Traintenna is not, so that is something to keep in mind.

The Tram is a multiband antenna, which is why that's the case. No monoband VHF antenna is going to receive UHF as well as a design that is engineered for or to include that band.

Would anyone know if there’s a significant difference between the mobile antenna and the indoor antenna they offer? I’d like a home antenna, but I would be fine using the mobile one at home as well - unless there’s a large difference in the strength.

The Indoor Blade antenna is what's commonly referred to as a compromise antenna. It's purpose is to work at an acceptable level in an instance where an exterior base antenna isn't permitted or practical. Using the mobile Traintenna indoors will work acceptably, but obviously nothing inside will perform like it does outside.

And again, you will see an improvement with the Traintenna mobile out on your vehicle, but how much depends on a number of factors.

AdamT

Yes, I'm certainly not expecting too much. But since I can already consistently pick up the frequency I'd like to monitor at a low signal strength, I would think a little improvement would go a long way. But once again, I'm still a beginner, so what would I know...

It seems like the best course of action might be the Indoor Traintenna for home, and keep the Tram 1094 for the car.

AdamT

The Tram is a multiband antenna, which is why that's the case. No monoband VHF antenna is going to receive UHF as well as a design that is engineered for or to include that band.

Not at all. The Indoor Blade antenna is what's commonly referred to as a compromise antenna. It's purpose is to work at an acceptable level in an instance where an exterior base antenna isn't permitted or practical. Using the mobile Traintenna indoors will work acceptably, but obviously nothing inside will perform like it does outside.

Ahh, thank you. That might seal the deal for me then. I can always keep the Mobile one for the car if I decide to go outside with my home antenna!
Thank you all for your advice.
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.