Tram antenna - Surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine recently sold me a Tram WSP1089SMA scanner antenna. It had an SMA connector and he needed a BNC. He bought the antenna for $13.00 on eBay. (Amazon has them for $30+.) I gave him $8.00 for it.

Anyway, I hooked it up to my 436 to check it out. It's actually a pretty good antenna. The paperwork says it good for "VHF/UHF/800 mHz-1300 mHz." I put the (mag mount) antenna on top of the car and immediately started picking up VHF signals 50 miles away. It filled in the gaps on the local Phase II 800 mHz system. The only UHF system around is only about 20 miles away and, for what it's worth, it was coming in clear.

Is it a great antenna? No. Is it a great antenna for $13? Definitely. It would be a good standby antenna. It's all wire so it's not fragile. You could throw it in the trunk and use it for emergencies. It's marketed as a scanner antenna so I would question using it on the smaller portables (Baofeng, etc.) to transmit.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The Ga State Patrol still uses 45 mHz a little but it's so infrequent that it's not worth trying to listen to. Other than that, I know of nothing else to check it.

svrstorm

The same antenna is also labeled Nagoya ut -106 on eBay

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The same antenna is also labeled Nagoya ut -106 on eBay

They're all probably the same but the Tram also says 800 mHz to 1300 mHz. I don't know of anyone I want to hear that's anywhere close to 1300 mHz but I know that it seems to work well in the 800 mHz area.

Status
Not open for further replies.