Tram Model 1411 scanner mobile antenna for my SDS100 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxkatt

Maxx Katt, once upon time artist.
On my Tram model 1411 home attic antenna two of the lower radial pieces have a tuning length for 25.7 - 28 MHz reception. The instructions state Tuning is for 25.7 to 28 MHz range only. All other frequencies are pretuned CB Frequencies, range is 26.965 (ch1) to 27.405 MHz (ch40). I am also using it for all other frequencies for my SDS100. Not really concerned about CB reception at my home base. I have a CB antenna on my SUV for listening to truckers on the Interstate highways.

This is an attic installation on a two story house with low loss RG8 Wilson 50 foot 400 ultra low loss cable.
So I am assuming I will not need to tune this base base attic antenna for CB use Correct assumption?
I live in north metro Atlanta.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
On my Tram model 1411 home attic antenna two of the lower radial pieces have a tuning length for 25.7 - 28 MHz reception. The instructions state Tuning is for 25.7 to 28 MHz range only. All other frequencies are pretuned CB Frequencies, range is 26.965 (ch1) to 27.405 MHz (ch40). I am also using it for all other frequencies for my SDS100. Not really concerned about CB reception at my home base. I have a CB antenna on my SUV for listening to truckers on the Interstate highways.

OK. Yeah, discones are not great performers. I know some of the lower elements are tunable for CB, and it's got the top whip, but don't expect miracles. Also, just making sure you are aware, you'll need to disconnect your scanner from the antenna when transmitting with the CB.

This is an attic installation on a two story house with low loss RG8 Wilson 50 foot 400 ultra low loss cable.
So I am assuming I will not need to tune this base base attic antenna for CB use Correct assumption?
I live in north metro Atlanta.

The beauty of the discone is that it's very broad banded. However, this antenna really doesn't act as a discone on the CB bands. It's more of a loaded ground plane antenna. I think with the radials (bottom elements) at that steep angle, it may not tune really well for CB. Ideally, you'd put an SWR meter or antenna analyzer on it to check to see if additional help was needed. In reality, all the antenna tuner does is hide the issues from the transmitter.

If you can install a dedicated CB antenna, you'll see better results and very likely won't need a tuner.

maxxkatt

Maxx Katt, once upon time artist.
OK. Yeah, discones are not great performers. I know some of the lower elements are tunable for CB, and it's got the top whip, but don't expect miracles. Also, just making sure you are aware, you'll need to disconnect your scanner from the antenna when transmitting with the CB.

The beauty of the discone is that it's very broad banded. However, this antenna really doesn't act as a discone on the CB bands. It's more of a loaded ground plane antenna. I think with the radials (bottom elements) at that steep angle, it may not tune really well for CB. Ideally, you'd put an SWR meter or antenna analyzer on it to check to see if additional help was needed. In reality, all the antenna tuner does is hide the issues from the transmitter.

If you can install a dedicated CB antenna, you'll see better results and very likely won't need a tuner.

I should have specified that I am only using the Discone in the attic as my scanner antenna as well as in the car with my WILSON Little Wil Magnet Mount Antenna CB antenna. I don't own a CB radio, just my SDS100 scanner to be used at home and in car..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I should have specified that I am only using the Discone in the attic as my scanner antenna as well as in the car with my WILSON Little Wil Magnet Mount Antenna CB antenna. I don't own a CB radio, just my SDS100 scanner to be used at home and in car..

Oh, OK. Then it doesn't matter. Get it close and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.