• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tram XL5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orbieswar

Who remembers the TRAM XL5 ?
Here in Australia there were at least 3 different versions.
One was the traditional 23 channel crystal control unit.
The second released here by EXPO INTERNATIONAL was an 18 channel PLL unit using the NIPPON NDC40013 NDI .
I think it was the same chassis as the PACE 1000M etc

There was a 3rd variant ... It used the 8719 PLL same chassis as the early STALKER 9.
(Remember the emblem was a cat and used imperial numbering not Roman IX ??)
This was available here as both an 18 channel then later a 40 channel unit.

Just wondering who remembers what and if there are any units still in service.

Attachments

• tramxl5a111.jpg
    tramxl5a111.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 945
  • XL5  18ch PLL.png
    XL5 18ch PLL.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 1,339

2way

I have the 23ch original version model. While technically I don't have it currently in service, it does work.

Orbieswar

Great news.. Glad to hear she is still going...Any chance of you throwing up a pic or two of the old girl ?
Sadly I no longer have mine.. She was a great performer back in her day.. Nothing special by any means. But can wait for a clean one to turn up on flea bay.

Wagonradio

TRAM XL5

Hi Everyone,

I had to add to this thread. My first radio was a 23 channel TRAM XL5. I'm currently repairing/restoring three of them. If anybody is interested, I'll throw up some pics.

Orbieswar

Tram

Restoring that's great news.. Pics would be fantastic.. could you do some of the internals ?

Orbieswar

The Bengal

The 23 Channel, how did it come up ?

She came up sweet.. Hears good it was deaf as a post when I got her.. She had a blown tranny in the front end. Don't know how that happened as they are bullet proof. Mite have been spiked by static or maybe a power surge !
Tx is pretty spot on.. makes power very easy and sounds great on air.
I will be posting up some pics here soon later today I hope... before the V8 Supercars start.. If not soon after.

Orbieswar

These radios from the 70's were built to last. She is over 30 yrs old and for less than $10.00 it will go for another 30 yrs. Easy to follow and easy to work on. These newer radios like the 980 and grant 2 will not be around in less than 20 yrs.. and those that do manage to avoid being butchered will not be repairable at least not for $10.00.
To me these old girls have character and a style all of there own... This Bengal is now sitting in the shack easily pulling in the USA on AM & SSB just as easy as my Cobra 142GTL does.
What more could you want ?

Status
Not open for further replies.