Transceiver and Scanner on one antenna (mobile setup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

niceday2ride

Hello all,

I am very new to ham radio and I've tried to find the answer to my question using the Stickys, Wiki and Search. So here it goes...

For many reasons I only want to put one antenna on my roof. Could I run a transceiver and scanner off of one antenna with the use of a coax splitter and be able to expect moderate results? Many people of posted questions about 2 scanners on one antenna, but I can't find anything on a scanner and transceiver.

My definition of moderate to be able to listen to and transmit within my county and the surrounding counties in somewhat close proximity.

Sorry if this has been covered before.
Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nope - the splitter won't stop RF from getting from the transceiver to the scanner. And even 5 watts would be enough to do permanent damage to the scanner's front end, not to mention frying the splitter itself.

I'd use a hardwired switch or a relay of some kind 73 Mike

WouffHong

Switch Smoke test.. :)

It still would be a risky venture unless you bought a fairly expensive switch that has a HIGH isolation spec between the ports to prevent leakage of your xmtr output into the scanner, or one that grounds/shorts the scanner port when you have selected the Xcvr port. - The obvious disadvantage of that, though, is if you forget you are on the Scanner and try and transmit, you would transmit into a dead short.. :-(

Either way, double-checking the switch position would be wise. :D

Can I suggest you just buy a separate scanner antenna and NOT place it in close proximity to the Transciever's antenna. :)

I have seen some 6" away from each other and that's not a good idea! :roll:

Welcome to the Ham Ranks! -- Been licensed myself since 1952! :lol:

Tom, W4NOV, (Extra Class) - NASA-KSC Comm/Nav Systems Eng'r (Ret'd)

http://rettysnitch.org

Hello all,

I am very new to ham radio and I've tried to find the answer to my question using the Stickys, Wiki and Search. So here it goes...

For many reasons I only want to put one antenna on my roof. Could I run a transceiver and scanner off of one antenna with the use of a coax splitter and be able to expect moderate results? Many people of posted questions about 2 scanners on one antenna, but I can't find anything on a scanner and transceiver.

My definition of moderate to be able to listen to and transmit within my county and the surrounding counties in somewhat close proximity.

Sorry if this has been covered before.
Thanks

zz0468

QRT
Banned
A suitable relay could be found on ebay for $25 or less. A 4 port transfer relay would be required, and would have more than enough isolation to protect the receiver. I've done similar tricks, and prefer to use a sequencer that delays transmitter keying by a few milliseconds to allow time for the relay to switch before the transmitter is keyed. A receive splitter would also be required.

The real drawback is that most transfer relays require 24-28 volts to activate. It's a lot of complication to avoid drilling a hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.