Transition from 1080 to TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpm3

After 6 years or so my frustration with using the Menu button for changing scan lists has prompted me to move up to a TRX-1. My new radio is due to arrive in a little less than a week and in anticipation of its arrival I am wondering about my existing 1080 CDAT/"codeplug" files. Are they directly compatible with the TRX-1? Does my current version of EZ-Scan (Ver 2.45) support the TRX-1, or will I need to download a newer (different?) program to load these files into the new scanner?

Reconrider

This is the page you need for the trx-1 downloads

You should be able to import anything you want with the "import file" button.
I have read that a few people who try to import stuff from other programs have had issues with nothing working.

The rr import is super easy to do on the trx ez scan program. Might be good start over also - I do it once in awhile

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am wondering about my existing 1080 CDAT/"codeplug" files. Are they directly compatible with the TRX-1? Does my current version of EZ-Scan (Ver 2.45) support the TRX-1, or will I need to download a newer (different?) program to load these files into the new scanner?

Simple answer YES and NO. But I'm sure you want more than that for a reply. Go to the Whistler Download Site and download the EZ Scan for the TRX-1. Then archive the 1080 CDAT/Codeplug in your current software going to File and Archive current Configuration. Open the TRX-1 Ez Scan and go into files RESTORE FROM ARCHIVE and open the file you just saved. DONE!

dpm3

Thank you, guys! I got the most current file into the TRX-1 EZ-Scan succesfully. I pluggesd the 1080 into the computer then opened the TRX-1 EZ-Scan program and downoaded the current file from the scanner into teh program. It would have been much easier had I just (as suggested) used the program to load the archive of my current configuration, but either way it was a success. Appreciate the prompt attention and assistance.

Reconrider

Thank you, guys! I got the most current file into the TRX-1 EZ-Scan succesfully. I pluggesd the 1080 into the computer then opened the TRX-1 EZ-Scan program and downoaded the current file from the scanner into teh program. It would have been much easier had I just (as suggested) used the program to load the archive of my current configuration, but either way it was a success. Appreciate the prompt attention and assistance.
Glad to help you man. We're all here for learning - and it only gets harder when no one replies and/or you can't find any videos on youtube.

Youtube is real shy with trx-1 content.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
After 6 years or so my frustration with using the Menu button for changing scan lists has prompted me to move up to a TRX-1. My new radio is due to arrive in a little less than a week and in anticipation of its arrival I am wondering about my existing 1080 CDAT/"codeplug" files. Are they directly compatible with the TRX-1? Does my current version of EZ-Scan (Ver 2.45) support the TRX-1, or will I need to download a newer (different?) program to load these files into the new scanner?

When your scanner arrives, if you can, test it on a LSM trunked system in your area, and ensure it can properly decode. The TRX series have a defect that can render them useless (even brand new units) for LSM trunking without being sent in to the factory to be realigned. I found out about this just past the return period on my new TRX, and am stuck with the damn thing I haven't used in years.

Paul

CycleSycho

When your scanner arrives, if you can, test it on a LSM trunked system in your area, and ensure it can properly decode. The TRX series have a defect that can render them useless (even brand new units) for LSM trunking without being sent in to the factory to be realigned. I found out about this just past the return period on my new TRX, and am stuck with the damn thing I haven't used in years.

Paul

:eek: Why in the world would Whistler NOT make sure these are re-aligned (or properly aligned) in the first place before shipping them out? Makes NO sense to me... :eek:

Ubbe

Why in the world would Whistler NOT make sure these are re-aligned (or properly aligned) in the first place before shipping them out? Makes NO sense to me...
My new Uniden BCD536 where 1Khz off in one direction and my brand new Whistler TRX-2 where off 1KHz in the other direction. They seem to not calibrate them more accuratly than that. Too bad if that has an impact on their performance with simulcast systems. I wish there where a simple method to calibrate them. Did it not used to be a master oscillator trim in the old synthesiser scanners? It could be hiding under a screening lid that needs to be lifted, and should be a hole in the lid for the trimming tool.

/Ubbe

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Simple answer YES and NO. But I'm sure you want more than that for a reply. Go to the Whistler Download Site and download the EZ Scan for the TRX-1. Then archive the 1080 CDAT/Codeplug in your current software going to File and Archive current Configuration. Open the TRX-1 Ez Scan and go into files RESTORE FROM ARCHIVE and open the file you just saved. DONE!
I am planning to purchase a TRX-1 when they are back in stock at Scanner Master to replace my WS-1088. I thought I would go ahead and download the program for the TRX-1, but when I went to Whistler's site, the Whistler "banner" covers over the link, so I can't click on it. Any idea on how I might get to the EZ Scan for the TRX-1?
Thanks in advance for any help!
jimg

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
but when I went to Whistler's site, the Whistler "banner" covers over the link, so I can't click on it. Any idea on how I might get to the EZ Scan for the TRX-1?

Sounds like a browser issue, or maybe something was broken on their website and is now fixed. In any event:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The TRX series were designed before simulcast was in use and do not have the electronics to be upgraded with new firmware. The Unidens are a completely new and different circuit design. With the instability caused by GRE being shut down, Whistler did a pretty good job with updated firmware that improved the original design, but the cost of a new radio design was not viable. I have very good simulcast reception where I am located, but tower and receiver location vary as do the reception results for others.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am planning to purchase a TRX-1 when they are back in stock at Scanner Master to replace my WS-1088. I thought I would go ahead and download the program for the TRX-1, but when I went to Whistler's site, the Whistler "banner" covers over the link, so I can't click on it. Any idea on how I might get to the EZ Scan for the TRX-1?
Thanks in advance for any help!
jimg

Seems to be working fine for me.

Screenshot 2020-08-20 19.23.06 (2).png

jimg

Premium Subscriber
As you mentioned, it probably is my browser. I was able to get to it on another computer. Also, it has been so long since I set up the EZ Scan for my 1088, I'm not sure I remember how to do it! Do I need to download all 7 categories shown above?
jimg

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Do I need to download all 7 categories shown above?

Nope. Start with the first link. Since you already have a 1088 you shouldn't need the driver. The third and sixth links are for standalone CPU and DSP upgrade programs that you shouldn't need either, since updates are normally done through EZ Scan.

The fifth link is documentation for the remote control protocol, and the last link is to the database files which again are normally updated through EZ Scan.

If you haven't played with the Remote Control Demo (fourth link) it's worth trying. Basic, but allows you to control the TRX-1 (and WS-1088) from your PC.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks sallen07. So all I need to download is the first link? Also, can I keep the 1088 program on my computer as well?
Please advise and thanks!
jimg
Nope. Start with the first link. Since you already have a 1088 you shouldn't need the driver. The third and sixth links are for standalone CPU and DSP upgrade programs that you shouldn't need either, since updates are normally done through EZ Scan.

The fifth link is documentation for the remote control protocol, and the last link is to the database files which again are normally updated through EZ Scan.

If you haven't played with the Remote Control Demo (fourth link) it's worth trying. Basic, but allows you to control the TRX-1 (and WS-1088) from your PC.

OK I was able to download the TRX-1 program on another computer. Can I now upload the info, from the 1088 SD Card to populate the new TRX-1 program? Afterwards, I would then manually enter the NXDN frequencies. Please advise and thanks again!
jimg

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
OK I was able to download the TRX-1 program on another computer. Can I now upload the info, from the 1088 SD Card to populate the new TRX-1 program? Afterwards, I would then manually enter the NXDN frequencies. Please advise and thanks again!
jimg

On the 1088 EZ Scan, go to file tab, save current configuration to archive. Then open the TRX-1 EZ Scan, go to file tab and restore from archive. Then you can manually enter the NXDN freqs, or if they are in the database you can import them.

Screenshot 2020-08-21 08.44.48 (2).png

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I saved the current configuration in the 1088 EZ Scan but could not find the restore from archive on the TRX-1 file tab, so I copied the data from the SD Card reader to the new TRX-1 EZ Scan and it worked!! Thanks again for all your help!
jimg

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I saved the current configuration in the 1088 EZ Scan but could not find the restore from archive on the TRX-1 file tab, so I copied the data from the SD Card reader to the new TRX-1 EZ Scan and it worked!! Thanks again for all your help!
jimg
Archive on old scanner via ezscan, restore from archive on new scanner ezscan (archive function is in ezscan upper LEFT under FILE)

DJ11DLN

Archive on old scanner via ezscan, restore from archive on new scanner ezscan (archive function is in ezscan upper LEFT under FILE)
You can also just read the 1080 card with the TRX-1 version E-Z Scan. I would click "restore defaults" on the File menu just to be safe before loading it on the TRX. You can re-enter any custom settings before you load.

Status
Not open for further replies.