• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Transmission ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyref2

Hello,
Hopefully this is posted in the proper location..

I have some repeaters in the UHF business band (451/456 mhz). I am getting a transmission of some sort coming over the input side of one of the repeaters. It does not appear to have CTCSS/DCS tone and so repeater does not repeat it..... Of course it will interfere with users when they transmit on that repeater however....

It usually lasts a second or so, and comes at 'random' intervals. Sometimes its hours,sometimes its every few minutes. Any idea on what this is? Screenshot from SDR# and a .wav file in a .zip file...

There is nothing that I can see in current FCC licenses that makes any sense..
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!

Attachments

• the noise.png
    the noise.png
    710.2 KB · Views: 23
  • The Noise.zip
    155.7 KB · Views: 20

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a differential gps transmitter used in land surveying. Basically, these survey companies buy a box that comes with 10-16 channels and a note saying "get licensed". Very few get licensed. So, you end up chasing these guys around. I find that if you DF to their transmitter, it is usually a gps antenna on a tripod with a differential box and a few car/deep cycle batteries. Typically, there is no one near the box and if you disconnect power, they show up fast. TT

My cousin ran into one of those, finally got in touch with the owner who just changed channels.
Local Goodwill has a Ritron alert system with a canned message about 'customer assistance needed at the fitting rooms'.
I went in and asked if they had a license, got the deer in the headlight look.

hockeyref2

Thanks! I wonder if its for a gas well or something? I found one expired license using the '6.1 meter rule' but most of their locations are 150+ miles away. A few other 'local' licenses but they are just narrowband FM...

I've never done RDF, nor have the gear to do it... I may end up changing frequencies... Bit of a pain with 100+ subscribers to reprogram, plus repeater, probably just get a new duplexer... but at least I have a license for it already.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
You can take duplexer to a radio shop and have them retune it for you. Should not be more than an hour or so of labor. Certainly less expensive than buy and learning RDF. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.