BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Transmissions suddenly choppy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

id2nv2nj2ca2id

Premium Subscriber
I am a complete newbie that bought what I thought would be a good scanner. If you throw out typical scanning terms and nomenclature, I probably won't understand them.

What I do know is that after almost sending it back because I couldn't figure out how to program it, I did get it working and I was enjoying listening to it. Though disappointed that my local PD is encrypted. Anyway, for several days, it was working what seemed to be flawlessly, but yesterday and today, EVERY transmission from all the channels I have programmed are now getting cut off for a half second to a full second and depending on the length of the transmission, it will cut off and stop at least twice. Makes it really hard to understand what's going on.

Anyone know why or what I can do? FWIW, I live in LA County and only have a few channels I am currently scanning. The only ones I ever hear are LA County Fire Dispatch, Montebello Bus System something or other, Montebello PD (that I can hear dispatch and responding officers) and Verdugo Fire. They were all flawless transmissions, but now every single one is choppy. Every one.

Very frustrating and making me want to box it up and send it back again. :(

k0aa

I am a complete newbie that bought what I thought would be a good scanner. If you throw out typical scanning terms and nomenclature, I probably won't understand them.

What I do know is that after almost sending it back because I couldn't figure out how to program it, I did get it working and I was enjoying listening to it. Though disappointed that my local PD is encrypted. Anyway, for several days, it was working what seemed to be flawlessly, but yesterday and today, EVERY transmission from all the channels I have programmed are now getting cut off for a half second to a full second and depending on the length of the transmission, it will cut off and stop at least twice. Makes it really hard to understand what's going on.

Anyone know why or what I can do? FWIW, I live in LA County and only have a few channels I am currently scanning. The only ones I ever hear are LA County Fire Dispatch, Montebello Bus System something or other, Montebello PD (that I can hear dispatch and responding officers) and Verdugo Fire. They were all flawless transmissions, but now every single one is choppy. Every one.

Very frustrating and making me want to box it up and send it back again. :(
I want to give you encouragement. Each of us was where you are now ... when we began using sophisticated programmable scanners. You will soon have greatly increased knowledge and will find yourself in a position to help others.

You came to the right place. Radio Reference is a great place to meet very astute radio enthusiasts and experts. I'm neither so that's another reason I'm here. I've learned a lot about scanners by reading messages here.

You are living in a terrific place to listen to a scanner. I grew up in Kern County, just north of LA County. For as long as I can remember, I've monitored the LAFD and the LACoFD. When I lived in CA, I used radios to hear SoCal fire departments. Today, I use an Android App to hear them.

I predict you will quickly grasp the features of your new scanner. Keep reading and posting on Radio Reference. I know you will find thoughtful responses from helpful people.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Anyway, for several days, it was working what seemed to be flawlessly, but yesterday and today, EVERY transmission from all the channels I have programmed are now getting cut off for a half second to a full second and depending on the length of the transmission, it will cut off and stop at least twice. Makes it really hard to understand what's going on.

As previously mentioned, you have turned on one of the priority functions.

Check for conventional priorities, weather priority, or "close call" priority. If the interruption occurs every 5 seconds or so... most likely you have turned on weather priority. If the interruption is every 2 seconds or so.... it's conventional or close-call priority that you have enabled.

All you need to do to resolve the intermittent cut-out is to turn off what ever priority function you have enabled.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are using FreeScan to program your scanner, go to the top row where it says "Scanner". Then click "Setup scanner options".

In the General tab, sheck that Priority is Off. In the Close Call tab, check that Mode is Off. In Weather Alert Priority, the Weather Alert Priority box should be unchecked.

If you see any settings different than the above, that is probably the culprit. You can change them in FreeScan, save and write to scanner. You should be back as you were.

The Close Call feature can be accidentally turned on by bumping the Squelch knob.

id2nv2nj2ca2id

Premium Subscriber
I want to give you encouragement. Each of us was where you are now ... when we began using sophisticated programmable scanners. You will soon have greatly increased knowledge and will find yourself in a position to help others.

You came to the right place. Radio Reference is a great place to meet very astute radio enthusiasts and experts. I'm neither so that's another reason I'm here. I've learned a lot about scanners by reading messages here.

You are living in a terrific place to listen to a scanner. I grew up in Kern County, just north of LA County. For as long as I can remember, I've monitored the LAFD and the LACoFD. When I lived in CA, I used radios to hear SoCal fire departments. Today, I use an Android App to hear them.

I predict you will quickly grasp the features of your new scanner. Keep reading and posting on Radio Reference. I know you will find thoughtful responses from helpful people.

Thank you for the encouragement, I really appreciate it.

id2nv2nj2ca2id

Premium Subscriber
As previously mentioned, you have turned on one of the priority functions.

Check for conventional priorities, weather priority, or "close call" priority. If the interruption occurs every 5 seconds or so... most likely you have turned on weather priority. If the interruption is every 2 seconds or so.... it's conventional or close-call priority that you have enabled.

All you need to do to resolve the intermittent cut-out is to turn off what ever priority function you have enabled.

Thank you, I will check it out. I certainly didn't do that on purpose.

id2nv2nj2ca2id

Premium Subscriber
If you are using FreeScan to program your scanner, go to the top row where it says "Scanner". Then click "Setup scanner options".

In the General tab, sheck that Priority is Off. In the Close Call tab, check that Mode is Off. In Weather Alert Priority, the Weather Alert Priority box should be unchecked.

If you see any settings different than the above, that is probably the culprit. You can change them in FreeScan, save and write to scanner. You should be back as you were.

The Close Call feature can be accidentally turned on by bumping the Squelch knob.

I am using FreeScan. I will check the things you have suggested, thank you. I bet I hit the squelch button and that's what did it. Thank you again, so much, for your time.

id2nv2nj2ca2id

Premium Subscriber
It was the "Close Call" button that was "on". Seems like it could be a good feature to have, but if it screws with every transmission, not such a good thing at all.

Thank you again, everyone, for your time and suggestions. I love the internet. :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That is why we made a Close Call Do Not Disturb mode. That mode works only in-between transmissions so that calls in progress are not interrupted.

id2nv2nj2ca2id

Premium Subscriber
That is why we made a Close Call Do Not Disturb mode. That mode works only in-between transmissions so that calls in progress are not interrupted.

Thank you for the response. Sadly, I don't completely understand it, but I guess I don't really need to now that my transmissions aren't being cut up. :)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Fortunately once a guy figures out the Close Call Feature can be activated by inadvertently bumping the Squelch knob, all he needs to do is press it a time or two to deactivate it.

The Close Call Do Not Disturb is good for not distrupting transmissions, but when there isn't that on-going transmission, Close Call does "kick in" and some "strange" transmissions happen. Then a guy wonders what happened - Close Call is just doing its thing. (In my case I hear an FM broadcast station)

Status
Not open for further replies.