Transmit frequencies/VHF programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsf1089

I work for an EMS agency in the area and am getting a radio for personal use. It will be VHF and besides the receive frequency how do I get the transmit frequency and all the information to program it? One guy I work with said he got all the information off radio reference. I also want to get the surrounding counties as well. I am new and don't know a whole lot about how all this works and any help would be greatly appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Before we begin, please go to the User CP which is in the blue toolbar under the thread title and enter where you are (city/county/state will do just fine). You will get much more help, from folks local to you, and that's often the best way to start.

It's rather unlikely you are going to need the transmit freqs unless you are close to the transmitter. To look up frequencies in your area, float your mouse over Database which is in the blue toolbar under the site logo, and use the pulldowns. If we have your area documented, it should include receive/transmit freqs for your area.

73 Mike

jim202

There have been numerous postings on here about putting transmit frequencies into a radio on public
safety and business frequencies. Unless you have a written document from the manager of the
radio system, don't do it. The FCC has stepped up enforcement of just such un authorized
operations.

Another reason is that for a person that does not have the experience in programming radios, you
probably don't have the the needed software, cables or interface to do it with. If you did, you
again probably don't know what information needs to be put into the radio. Like your question
is asking where you can find this information on the frequency data needed for the radio.

Best thing I would suggest is that you go sit and talk to the person responsible for the radio
system and see what they tell you. If your authorized, then that person may just have your
radio programmed for you. If not, you will be told in no uncertain words to not do it.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but have been working in this field for some 47 years now
and know how the system works. Just trying to save you some grief and help you stay out of
some trouble. Have heard of people loosing their jobs because of just what your trying to do.

If the company your working for thought that you needed a radio for your work, they would provide
one for you. If you supply one for yourself, then talk to them.

Jim

I work for an EMS agency in the area and am getting a radio for personal use. It will be VHF and besides the receive frequency how do I get the transmit frequency and all the information to program it? One guy I work with said he got all the information off radio reference. I also want to get the surrounding counties as well. I am new and don't know a whole lot about how all this works and any help would be greatly appreciated.

SCPD

QRT
There have been numerous postings on here about putting transmit frequencies into a radio on public
safety and business frequencies. Unless you have a written document from the manager of the
radio system, don't do it. The FCC has stepped up enforcement of just such un authorized
operations.

Show us a link or proof saying this?>??.. there is NO way FCC could enforce this??

Here is an excerpt taken directly from the Department of Homeland Security March 2009 NIFOG document.

"Don’t I need a license for these channels before programming them
into radios?
A license (for non-Federal radio users) or an authorization (for Federal users) is required
only to TRANSMIT on an LMR radio frequency. No license or authorization is required to
program the frequencies into radios"

Every time someone brings up the subject of transmitting on PS channels everybody wants to jump in and post their opinion. If someone wants to program and TRANSMIT on PS frequencies they can do so at their on risk and the risk of their own department. If a department receives a NAL for allowing an employee to use a non-approved radio, just how long do you think said employee would still have a job?

Most folks that frequent this board are adults and make their own life decisions; if they choose to program and transmit on PS frequencies, such a decision is theirs and members should keep their opinions to themselves. Just remember posting your "free" opinion is just what it's worth, NOTHING.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
jim202 said:
operations.

Show us a link or proof saying this?>??.. there is NO way FCC could enforce this??
http://forums.radioreference.com/industry-discussion/166582-fcc-wants-fine-radio-shop.html

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Folks, let's remember what forum you are posting in and dial down the rhetoric.

AlabamaRS: Your question is valid but off topic in this thread and your question was posted in a challenging manner; again, remember where you are. (Opps, just noticed you are banned, guess this was too late.)

Everyone, answer the OP's question and don't take this topic off into left field, thanks.

Last edited:

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber

Welcome to Radio Reference!

In addition to the radio you are getting, you might want to consider buying a scanner because of its features. The Radio Reference Database probably has the VHF frequencies you need, and will show what's in use in your surrounding counties. If you are interested, let us know what area and systems you'd like to monitor, and we can help with scanners and programming!

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.

It's no big deal. I did the same thing when I joined EMS. We got issued Motorolas, I went and bought my own Vertex. It stood up on car wrecks, structure fires and anything else I threw at it.

The best thing to do is get a hold of your 9-1-1 / radio/ EMS agency / Director and let them give you the freqs and PL's - or have them call their radio shop that they use, and tell them you will be arriving, to program your radio for you.

Most agencys have a license for far more mobiles / radios than they have. I don't think the US Government is going to throw a EMS Professional in the hoose-cow for having a radio for the agency that they work for.

Like I said, Public Safety organizations usually have a license for far more mobiles than they have. This is how they get by with mutual aid and agencys in ajoining jurisidictions having the radio freq of of another Dept. As long as the freq is licensed for the originating agency, other towns can use it, for mutual aid, assistance.

FF-Medic !!!

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Welcome to Radio Reference!

In addition to the radio you are getting, you might want to consider buying a scanner because of its features. !

You don't need a scanner. If you have the space on your radio, for ajoining agencys / organizations, just program the receive freqs only. It will act just as good as a scanner. You will not be able to transmit - just listen ; AND you will not have to have a scanner radio.

Question for all of you folks out there.

Here in WV, and I know in Ohio also - State Police / State Patrol Units ; talk on county and local radio systems. How do they do this, if the state is not licensed for that radio system ? How did the State Law Enforcement Agencys get those freqs in their radios ? How come....Individual EMS agancys in WV do not have a license for the " Med Channels ", to talk to the hospitals. See my point.

Some of you people are making a mountain out of a mole hill, and taking this way to far. Common Sense folks..alright.

JSF = go to your agency , director , 9-1-1 guru, ask for the info, or have them program it. If you have enough space on your radio, go to the ajoining agency / mutual aid organization, that you will work with / alongside / assist, and ask the administrator / commo director, the same thing. I am almost pretty sure they will oblige and help you out. And I am pretty sure the Government FCC posse will not bang on the front door of your house, with a warrant to take you to jail. If the ajoining agency will not give you the radio program info in it's entireity, ask them for just the receive freq and PL codes, if they will not program all the info. Again, you will not be able to transmit, but you can at least hear / monitor.

If you are a responsible / mature adult, and if the ajoining agency knows someone you know / work with / work for , can vouch for your character, maturity, and know you will not misuse / abuse their host radio system..I see no problem in you getting mutal aid agencys radio frequency information / programming. You may even want to wait a liitle bit, get to know some people before you go asking for radio info.....you are more likely to get approved, than turned down, for the simple fact - they may not know you, when you show up a new EMS professional.

Two things most important in EMS. One - A good / dependable radio. Two - a good flashlight ( I prefer a good hand held LED, as LEDS flashlights last longer - Example = surefire / streamlight. ) I do not Remember ever working without a good flashlight or a good radio - Vertex . ( grin ) = Scene Safe - BSI. Remember your training = your personal safety comes first at all scenes - then your partners - then the patients. You should never take risk when it comes to a good dependable radio. If I can-------- I reccomend a Surefire flashlight - LED ( again they last a long time - car wrecks on tehinterstate at o - dark - thirty, Mam - Maw and Pap-paws house that is dimly lit, or if you back up Fire / Rescue on structure fires at o-dark-thirty, you will need one. You will not have to change out batterys every hour like you do a halogen light...and in the end, it will pay for itself, for what you save on batterys.

*** Sorry, I got a little off of topic, apologies - but I figure I could help out, whom I belive is a EMS Newbee - and I classify radios as personal safety equipment. **

And - Welcome to the EMS profession. Don't let these other guys scare you with regulation this and regulation that. Just read, or you can print out my post...and you will be alright.

FF-Medic !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.