• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Transmit OUTSIDE the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBlackHat

My department recently built a new building for my division. Our radios operate in the 462MHz range. With all the steel and concrete that went into the construction we can no longer get reception for our radios. Cell phones are just as dodgy. Does anyone have a simple COST EFFECTIVE solution, such as a mini-repeater (does that even exist?). Their solution was to get a scanner for our office area, great until you walk out of the room. The interior of the building has 4-6 concrete walls in every direction, and we are at a low point right on the water. Any ideas?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I worked in a 14 story building years ago, and we operated on 464.400MHz. Well, reception wasn't that great from the basement to the top floor, so we installed a 2 watt repeater! Now, you say "2 watt?" Yup! The repeater was in the basement, and we ran "leaky coax" up through the center of the building to the top floor. Basement to the top floor, great reception! Since we never left the building, it worked out perfectly for us.

cg

Premium Subscriber
A passive antenna system might work as well depending how much area you are looking to cover. Another solution might be to get another frequency and set up a second repeater that was patched to the first. Perhaps the primary repeater could be relocated closer to your building (if it doesn't cause problems in other buildings.
Had it been part of the project, it would have been much easier to put a solution in place.

chris

DrBlackHat

Its a municipal radio system PD to be exact. We have, as far as I know, 3 repeaters, and a main tower. The closest less than a mile away at the airport. If you are in HQ, which houses the main tower, you can't get reception either. Broadcasts out, not up or down. I was thinking about it last night, Is there a "prebuilt package" that maybe has an antenna we could mount on the roof or in the attic, and then run a coax to our tech room, and have a splitter that runs maybe 4 satellite antennas out to cover the whole building. Its only one story, and we are running antiquated Motorola HT1000's. I think I'm trying to say are there plun-n-play repeaters?

I may just end up with a $200 cell phone booster system and tell our dispatchers if they can't get us on the radio, to call our cells.

Packetpeeker

Poor Comms

It's hard to believe that 460 mhz won't penetrate that building but i have seen stranger things. You indicate that cell reception is spotty also. You could license another set of splits and install a motorola 25W uhf repeater package and use a combiner and 2 antennas off of the output of the duplexer.
Mount one antenna on a high point of the building externally and mount the other inside the building, perhaps in a closet within the concrete structure, this should surely give very good coverage.
You will loose Db through the duplexer, through the combiner and of course through the coax so you may have a gross output of between 12 and 15 watts which should be more than enough for full communications, if need be, depending on the repeater the power could be lowered further with programming software if you desire.
As for the HT1000, it is older but is a very good and dependable radio.

Hope this helps.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
if the main issue is just that you can't hear dispatch, simply put in a base(mobile on a power supply) and run a few speakers thru the building. then when dispatch calls you go to the base and answer. or put deskset remotes in at multiple locations and answer off one of them.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.