Transmitter Hunting way up north

Status
Not open for further replies.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
First off, let me state officially, "there is NO Tropospheric Propagation at 800 Mhz!" With that being clearly stated,,,,,,,, I have seen stranger things occurring with Electromagnetic Disturbances. Between Knife-Edge Diffraction and meteor skip, many, many things are possible. How strong was the signal, any idea? Could be some ground terrain "channeling" the signal that direction, or, just plain magic.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Or another site with same frequency perhaps? Nelson has far reaching effects but IDK about clear to box elder county, that's slightly pushing it

N7YUO

When I started this thread, I said I got Logan Peak, Mt Ogden, Promontory, 92085-00A LDS Church, Nelson, South Mountain, and SLC PD AC33.
These sites were being received in a small area of Box Elder County. They were not some other site.
On the trip to Oasis, UTTR, I started receiving these sites again. The weather was clear that day.
Today, we went to Oasis again, and I did not receive any 800 MHz. It was snowing. So the weather has an effect on this propagation.

N7YUO

First off, let me state officially, "there is NO Tropospheric Propagation at 800 Mhz!" With that being clearly stated,,,,,,,, I have seen stranger things occurring with Electromagnetic Disturbances. Between Knife-Edge Diffraction and meteor skip, many, many things are possible. How strong was the signal, any idea? Could be some ground terrain "channeling" the signal that direction, or, just plain magic.
In extreme cases, tropo openings can extend all the way up to 1.2 GHz.
© Copyright 2019 Dekalb County Amateur Radio Club - All Rights Reserved

800 MHz two-way radio especially suffered from tropo-ducting
for co-channel Nextel and two-way radio systems.
A customer was 40 km from the repeater with an omni base antenna
would experience several hours per year when they could not access
the SMR LTR system on 800 MHz due to tropo skip.

And...Radioreference Forums:
800 Opening Yesterday
Thread starter tommypickles Start date Oct 22, 2020

800mhz skip
Thread starter Priority-One Start date Dec 17, 2014

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
It might be elevation, if box elder is higher up in elevation, u could very well pick up from that far away, or if nelson is really high in elevation.. down here abajo from San Juan county can be picked up in certain areas all the way to carbon county, but abajo is also 10,000 feet up

Status
Not open for further replies.