Transmitting causes speaker hum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonziBuddy

Whenever transmitting the desktop speakers for my computer hum loudly. Is this a common thing that I should expect?

NYCRADIO

computers and radio are never a good match computers interfere alot with radios some more than others

BonziBuddy

Should I be concerned that my surround sound speakers also hum? They're not connected to any computer... just my television.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Essentially the wiring is acting as an antenna and feeding power (if only a little) to your speakers. Depending on how much power your pushing through your radio, it shouldn't be harmful (just damn annoying). Television speakers, intercom speakers and all sorts, could be affected. If you were pushing some 1500W though...

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Powered speakers are notorious for this problem, RF gets into the low level audio lines and it's very hard to get rid of. The simplest solution is power down the speakers when you're on the air, you shouldn't be listening to them providing "incidental background" over the air in the first place.

A funny thought just struck me, picture a bunch of confused kids trying to dance to a CW beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.