Transmitting from Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAF27

Hi,

I have a mac laptop. I was curious if I could transmit an audio file on my Baofeng UV-5R directly from my laptop. To be more specific, I want my transmission on a frequency to be a prerecorded audio file.

prcguy

Yes you can sort of do that. You can make an audio interface cable from the MAC earphone output to the Baofeng mic input. I think you need to use both connectors on the Baofeng due to the wiring and you might want to put in an audio attenuator like a 10k series resistor to the baofeng and maybe 100 ohms to ground on the MAC side to load it down. You can then press PTT to transmit the audio file or select VOX on the Baofeng and when adjusted right it will key the radio when an audio file is played but you might loose the first half second or so as the VOX senses the audio.

Hi,

I have a mac laptop. I was curious if I could transmit an audio file on my Baofeng UV-5R directly from my laptop. To be more specific, I want my transmission on a frequency to be a prerecorded audio file.

JAF27

Yes you can sort of do that. You can make an audio interface cable from the MAC earphone output to the Baofeng mic input. I think you need to use both connectors on the Baofeng due to the wiring and you might want to put in an audio attenuator like a 10k series resistor to the baofeng and maybe 100 ohms to ground on the MAC side to load it down. You can then press PTT to transmit the audio file or select VOX on the Baofeng and when adjusted right it will key the radio when an audio file is played but you might loose the first half second or so as the VOX senses the audio.
Is there a specific cord I can do this with?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
There are audio interface cables for connecting APRS trackers to the Baofeng. Plug one side of the cable in the output of your audio device. The other side goes into the HT. You'd have to take care of PTT.

Here's a description of one make of cable: APRS-K2 Intro - Miklor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.