Trash Can Antenna Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonian149

Just for fun I though I would post this and see what kinds of uses for an antenna or "whatever" members of this illustrious group can come up with. My wife "had" to have this Stainless Steel trash can several years ago and now it seems to be trash itself. Since I am always thinking antennas I thought I would see if anybody had a use for it. It measures 25" tall x 11" inside diameter. It is open on both ends. It also has a plastic liner that is removable that is 24" tall x 10.25" inside diameter. It of course has a Stainless Steel lid that is 11.5" outside diameter and 1.25" tall. The lid does not fit over the Stainless Steel body, but is the same outside diameter so the could be taped or welded to close one end. Kind like a Wifi cantenna antenna. Take a look at the photo below and "throwup" your ideas. The winner I end up choosing will win absolutely nothing :p.--Gary

zonian149-albums-my-projects-picture1967-imgp4787.jpg

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmm...flatten that top out, then put a NMO mount on it and weld the top shut, or otherwise secure it so it makes a complete electrical connection with the rest of the body. Would make an easy ground plane for an antenna. It looks like there just might be enough surface area there to get it down to 6 meters on a 1/4 wave...maybe...73 Mike

fineshot1

Depends if your a ham or not.

I know a few fellas that made there own 1.2ghz band ham cantennas from stuff like this.

The same should info hear should also work for the 2.4ghz wifi band.

Turned out to work very well in that range and the swr was flat.

One end has to be closed and the other open.

Drill a hole half way down the tube large enough for an N connector and mount it with the
N female conn on the outside of the tube.

Inside the center conductor of the N conn solder in a small 1/4 wave rod for the center
freq your interested in(best to do this before mounting).

You will also have to work out a method of mounting this monster cantenna.

k9rzz

Stainless steel? Excellent.

Bold a heavy copper braid to it and bury it in the backyard. Would make an excellent ground!

99sparks

get it a couple of inches off the gorun. hook one end to the center of coax. hook outside of coax to groud. See what you can load. just for grins and giggles!

fineshot1

Depends if your a ham or not.

I know a few fellas that made there own 1.2ghz band ham cantennas from stuff like this.

The same should info hear should also work for the 2.4ghz wifi band.

Turned out to work very well in that range and the swr was flat.

One end has to be closed and the other open.

Drill a hole half way down the tube large enough for an N connector and mount it with the
N female conn on the outside of the tube.

Inside the center conductor of the N conn solder in a small 1/4 wave rod for the center
freq your interested in(best to do this before mounting).

You will also have to work out a method of mounting this monster cantenna.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that this cantenna will be very tightly directional in a very
norrow beam pattern.

RadioDaze

It looks like a fun project. But if it doesn't work out, just remember how hard it is to throw away a garbage can, because the trash collection folks never seem to take it. When I was young, my dad tried to throw away an old, beat up can of ours, but they would always leave it behind!

Status
Not open for further replies.