Trauma Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

nearscanman

Premium Subscriber
Still learning alot on this system. Recently I started picking up traffic on Trauma Bands. Is this EMS giving the information to the State Health? I know they tell them which hospital their being transported to and sometimes their re-routed to a different hospital, depending the extent of injuries or if a Trauma Staff is on duty. I know on a Sunday they were transporting a patient to St. Benards and they ask if patient needed surgery, their was a Trauma Staff on duty, but no Trauma Surgeon.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Why is it that they added new TGID's for the Trauma Center? - they already have the EMS Medical Net for each troop.

I'm in Troop D and I've never heard any traffic on those TGID's. I hear traffic from all over on the TraumaComm groups tho.

Seems to be a waste.......our tax dollars at work I reckon.

Lifesaver2000

As part of the Arkansas trauma system, the state purchased and paid for installation of AWIN radios for pretty much all the ambulances in the state that did not already have them, to allow for communication with TraumaCom in Little Rock. Very minor trauma is not required to go through the system, but just what is considered minor is still a bit up in the air. Ambulances are not really required to participate in the system, but there is a substantial amount of money that an ambulance service can get if it does, so as far as I know everyone is or soon will be.

Also, the state is divided into several sections, and each section has rules of its own on what is to be done. I know that one area requires ambulances to go to where TraumaCom says go, while a neighboring section only considers TraumaCom's input as a recommendation, not a requirement.

There is a lot of information on the Arkansas Trauma System on the Arkansas Health Department web site for anyone interested. While it is still a work in progress, I have heard a lot of good things about it, specifically that it has made a huge difference in getting inter-facility transfers approved, cutting down on delays in getting trauma patients moved up to higher levels of care when necessary. There is still a lot of work to do and just how the ambulance side of things will be in the future still remains to be seen, but overall it seems to be a step in the right direction.

medic6897

The "trauma bands" are orange wristbands which are placed on all trauma patients. The protocol is to place the wristband and contact Arkansas Trauma Comm on Trauma 1 or Trauma 2 dependent on your location and they advise the hospital of choice based on the type and severity of the injury.

nearscanman

Premium Subscriber
medic6897, I take it your a medic. So my question is who makes the judgement call on what is consider trauma or not. I heard yesterday that a man had a seizure from a standing position and fell, dislocating his shoulder. Im not doctor but I could see where a seizure maybe trauma. We know Arkansas is not like some bigger states that have Trauma Units and they get gun shot wounds, knives, and very serious injuries. I hear alot on Stoddard County EMS and their is alot of waste I think. People calling a ambulance for tummy aches or been sick for a few days. I understand their are older people that can't make it to the ER and their are some people that dont have family around to take them. I think it could cause a problem for people that really need the help.

medic6897

Trauma bands

Basically the State does. All runs made by ambulances in the state are required to enter that run information into a statewide database, medical or trauma, and if the software tells you it's a trauma you are supposed to enter their respective "trauma band number" and "band" the pt; however, if the field unit feels it's not a "trauma" and the hospital does then the band is applied by the hospital. This number tracks the pt. from EMS contact throughout their hospitalization to discharge, rehab or morgue. There are a number of incidents that really aren't "trauma" but the software will say it is. Then it gets a little crazy. The "Trauma Registry" compiles all this information and reports back to State Health on errors, "good calls", and theoretically will enable the state to make appropriate changes to the "Trauma System" to improve trauma care. To the best of my knowledge ALL ambulance services are required by law to participate in the system and as someone posted earlier the state did purchase 1 AWIN mobile for every licensed ambulance in the state whether they are a Paramedic level unit or a unit staffed by 2 EMT's. It has great potential but is in it's infancy - so do errors happen. I personally have had no problems with the system and haven't heard of any significant problems from other EMS providers. We are all in the learning phase so things will happen. The state is 100% committed to making it a viable and useful. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help you - that is as far as the stutes will allow that is.....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.